Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Initial EASA IR test in a non-ADF and non-DME SR22 - possible anywhere?

It certainly isn’t possible in the UK.

The only way you might do it without an ADF is if the examiner decides to be kind and gives you a VOR procedure instead of an NDB procedure and doesn’t realise you are non-ADF and thus noncompliant with the Standards Doc 7A. Not something you could rely on, obviously.

Without DME, even less likely.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

No, not possible, i am almost sure.

Without ADF no problem in Germany. Mine was marked INOP for the exam (by myself he-he). DME is required for IFR in Germany but I guess an examiner would not abandon the IR exam if it was broken.

So how do you fly an NDB approach whicj, AFAIK, part of every IR test in Germany? Maybe you’re lucky and find an examiner who doesn’t care, but i guess it’s against the rules …

Can’t comment on Germany. In Austria AFAIK you have to fly one PA and one NPA. The latter can be VOR, RNAV, NDB – whatever …

LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria

So how do you fly an NDB approach whicj, AFAIK, part of every IR test in Germany?

It’s not and given the very limited time you have for your exam, I would assume that an NDB approach isn’t even in reach for most. If you take a look at the examiner’s report for the German IR exam, you find two sections: “precision approach” and “non precision approach”. It is usually an ILS and an RNAV approach these days.

All my IR instructors told me the same thing: when flying an NDB approach, use the GPS.

well, that was definitely not my examiner, who insisted that NDB approach is a requirement. OTOH that’s no news that everbody says something different. AFAIK ADF and DME are a must in all IR training planes. But what do i know anyway ;-)

DME is definitely required for any IFR flight according to Danish rules, while the ADF is not except when specifically needed for a procedure.

huv
EKRK, Denmark

EASA FCL no longer mentions NDB approaches – only NON PRECISION APPROACHES – which means Localizer, VOR, GPS and NDB. In former times it was compulsory to check out on NDB approaches. DME is necessary because most of the non precision procedures e.g. in Germany require DME readings (often more or less “continuously”) to bring you down like on a 3° glideslope.
However I think if your examiner has got a NDB doctorate he may ask you to fly one

EDxx, Germany

But DME is required for MANY ILS Approaches too, look at the approach charts: “DME required”

41 Posts
Sign in to add your message