Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Installing EDM engine monitor on a Robin

My ergonomics decisions were as follows:
- place the instruments I’m likely to look at most (FLARM, engine instruments) at the top, to “keep the eyes outside” as much as possible
- place the devices I’m manipulating (COM, Transponder etc.) next to the throttle, to minimize movements
- create a “standard 6-pack” as much as possible, well actually it’s a 5-pack with the autopilot indicator at the bottom left. Forego the turn coordinator!

Although the avionics stack is clearly non-standard, it works quite well in practice.

etn
EDQN, Germany

I originally viewed the AV-30C (= poor man’s GI275 ;) ) more as a gimmick than anything else, as I do day VFR only and have no plan to go into IFR anytime soon. They turned out to be a great addition, for 1) I did not have a directional gyro before and 2) they provide direct display of TAS and density altitude

Does AV30 require an OAT interface or sensor like G5? do you get wind data?

Last Edited by Ibra at 03 Apr 19:13
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

Does AV30 require an OAT interface or sensor like G5? do you get wind data?

From the AV-30-C Pilot’s Guide:
6.5 OAT Probe (Optional)
The optional Outside Air Temperature (OAT) probe interface is compatible
with the industry standard “Davtron” (C307PS) probe which is mounted
external to the aircraft. OAT data is available as a textual data overlay and
is used to compute temperature dependent data such as True Airspeed
(TAS) and Digital Altitude (DALT). Each AV-30-C requires a dedicated
probe. A single OAT probe cannot be shared between multiple units.

Unlike the G5, the AV-30 currently has no wind data display.
An AV-30 can accept a GPS feed and the magnetometer (currently uncertified only) provides heading.
So with air data already available, computing wind should not be a huge software task.
In the past, uAvionics have added new functionality via hardware addons and software updates.

United Kingdom

The AV-30 indeed has an OAT probe; this is used to compute true airspeed and density altitude. There is also a GPS interface. In my install, the only panel GPS is the FLARM; it sends data to the AV-30 as well as to the transponder for ADS-B out. Ground speed and track display should be available in the AV-30 as well if I remember correctly. (I have this in my ipad therefore I prefer other information such as IAS, TAS, altitude and DA)

The AV-30 has a built-in magnetometer, which can be activated by going into the settings menu. I tried that and never could get it to work. Maybe I did not try hard enough. Or the electromagnetic environment behind the panel is just not compatible.

A certified version of their standalone magnetometer has recently been released; I am thinking about installing one in the tail of the aircraft, but I have not looked into the details yet. Will keep you guys posted if you are interested!

Last Edited by etn at 04 Apr 12:03
etn
EDQN, Germany

Thanks for the info, it looks like AV30 is a solid kit on the shelf versus G5/GI275 !

Last Edited by Ibra at 04 Apr 12:25
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

Thanks for the info, it looks like AV30 is a solid kit on the shelf versus G5/GI275 !

For the price, definitely! (about half of the Garmin) However I never flew with a G5/GI275 therefore I cannot compare.
I am happy with mine.

Edit: The thing which bothers me most with the AV30 is that adjusting the directional gyro requires turning the knob in one direction, whereas adjusting the autopilot gyro needs turning its knob – as expected – in the other direction :D Believe it or not I cannot get used to that. I hope a firmware update will make this configurable at some point in the future.

Last Edited by etn at 04 Apr 13:52
etn
EDQN, Germany

etn wrote:

adjusting the directional gyro

What do you mean by that?

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

boscomantico wrote:

What do you mean by that?

at wrote that his AV-30 does not have a (working) magnetometer. Then it would have to be set like a non-slaved mechanical gyro.

But I guess that

etn wrote:

adjusting the autopilot gyro

…refers to the heading bug?

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 04 Apr 14:44
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

OK, I have never come across an electronic, but non-slaved direction indicator.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

boscomantico wrote:

OK, I have never come across an electronic, but non-slaved direction indicator.

Neither have I, but if you don’t have a magnetometer, what do you do…?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
Sign in to add your message