Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Lots of FCL changes from EASA Nov 2019

As far as I have in mind time limits are not that new? For example 18 months for completing the IR-theory or 36 months for the whole CBIR-training (theory + flight training)?

… and when you exceeded the time limit you basically have to restart…

Last Edited by Marcel at 29 Oct 09:11
LSZF Birrfeld, LFSB Basel-Mulhouse, Switzerland

I never got around to comment the 6 months rule (training for the night rating) when it was proposed 2 years ago. I thought that because it is going to take a little more discipline to complete the course with that limitation, I would think that 12 months would be fair, because at Scandinavian latitudes night flight training is impractical during summer months. If you start in late March (many do!) and have a couple of weeks of less than optimal weather, or other problems (which I have experienced many, many times), then with the new rule you only have until late September where daylight saving time still is in force, to complete.

On balance, with only 5 hours of required flight training, I admit that dividing the 5 hours of required flight training over three lessons during 18 months is not an efficient way to train (I have seen that). In the end I find it difficult to argue strongly that 6 months is not enough, if you do a tiny bit of schedule planning.

Last Edited by huv at 29 Oct 14:00
huv
EKRK, Denmark

It is just one of these silly Europan “there must be rules” things, where they simply can’t leave this in the judgement of instructors and the self-preservation desire of pilots.

Biggin Hill

Cobalt wrote:

can’t leave this in the judgement of instructors and the self-preservation desire of pilots.

I believe an “FCL officer” found out that sunset tables change dramatically over 6 months, so your far past night flying is no longer valid

Last Edited by Ibra at 29 Oct 14:13
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

There may be some European CAAs who prohibit training in a foreign reg plane, too. Most clearly prohibit ab initio training in foreign regs, otherwise many schools would go foreign reg.

Just to clarify, foreign in this context means non-easa third country.

I am not sure the national CAAs have much say though, they shouldn’t as it should be EU law governing this.

Can someone kindly point me to the relevant EASA/EU regulations that stipulate the use of non-easa registered aircraft for training towards EASA ratings. Thanks in advance!

always learning
LO__, Austria

The requirement to hold a valid class or type rating when taking the IR revalidation is irritating, and basically removes any upside with doing it in a sim as you might as well do both at the same time now.

We're glad you're here
Oxford EGTK

Does this mean you have to have a valid PPL before you can revalidate the IR?

Does it even allow doing both at the same time? A revalidated PPL (the “SEP class rating”) isn’t actually revalidated until the flight is done and the paperwork is filled in.

Can someone kindly point me to the relevant EASA/EU regulations that stipulate the use of non-easa registered aircraft for training towards EASA ratings. Thanks in advance!

I doubt you will find them. The UK has nothing written except a general ANO clause about needing Secretary of State permission for paid work in a foreign reg aircraft (which, as written, includes/included all the EU regs too) and you simply didn’t get that permission if they didn’t like something. If a school tried to use such a reg it would not get licensed and that would be the end of it.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@Charlie I think it says for renewal so for revalidation you would be ok

Now retired from forums best wishes

For renewal it is even more irritating since it means you need to formally renew the class rating and wait for all the paperwork to be completed before you can do the renewal of the IR, rather than doing them all in one go.

Biggin Hill

Disregard

Last Edited by Snoopy at 30 Oct 11:01
always learning
LO__, Austria
Sign in to add your message