Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

CPL conversion question (FAA to EASA)

Dimme wrote:

Interesting, I knew a few people around here who trained in Swedish DTOs and got Danish PPLs.

The credit recommendation and approval requirement addressed by art 3 in Commission Delegated Regulation (EU) 2020/723 is for applicants who wish to obtain the EASA equivalent of the non-EASA licence rating or certificate which they hold.

London, United Kingdom

Has anyone done this recently in the UK? I’m looking to convert my FAA CPL/IR to UK papers.
Thank you!

KHPN, LFBE, EGKB, United States

If your ATP is pre 2020 then I believe you avoid the 14 theory exams. Otherwise you have to carry out the theory knowledge exams, an approved CPL course, you may get some IF credit, and assuming you have the required IFR time, you then wirk on getting a CBIR.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

RobertL18C wrote:

If your ATP is pre 2020

It’s not, I recently passed the CPL. I guess I’ll start by converting my IR for private flying and see if it’s even worth converting the CPL later on.

If going for an airline/jet job (why else would one want a CPL?) make sure you don’t get the “dead end” CPL/IR mentioned above.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

If going for an airline/jet job (why else would one want a CPL?)

Not for now, I’m more thinking about random flying gigs for the days I’m not at work. I don’t think I can do much in Europe with a US CPL/IR, that’s why I’m looking at a potential EASA conversion but without much appetite for a long process.

I may be missing something but

• for the IR there is the ICAO IR to CBIR conversion route (really minimal if you have 50hrs IFR PIC)
  • the CPL is just a bit of dual VFR

and the elephant in the room is the 13 (was 14) written EASA “ATPL” (CPL/ME/IR actually) exams which everybody doing this is trying to skip but AFAIK you can’t.

I can do much in Europe with a US CPL/IR

I think you meant “I can’t do”. If you (the “operator”, strictly speaking) are not EU resident then you can do

• N-reg ferry work
  • fly an N-reg bizjet, etc

without needing EU papers.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

I think you meant “I can’t do”

Yes. Thank you!

Peter wrote:

If you (the “operator”, strictly speaking) are not EU resident then you can do

So assuming I became a UK or European resident, I can do the jobs you mentioned for a US/non-EU operator flying N-reg, correct?

Peter wrote:

and the elephant in the room is the 13 (was 14) written EASA “ATPL” (CPL/ME/IR actually) exams

Yes, that’s what I mean by “long process”. As I understand, there is no way around that.

So assuming I became a UK or European resident, I can do the jobs you mentioned for a US/non-EU operator flying N-reg, correct?

The operator needs to be non EU otherwise the pilot(s) need EU papers – in addition to the State of Registry papers.

As I understand, there is no way around that.

I would contact some of the FTOs in Bulgaria or Romania. @flippiefloppies may know some. There was a post here a year or so ago about some FTO doing the UK-EASA exam conversion over a weekend for 3k, and that means sitting all 13 exams.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message