Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Getting French ULM license based on BE PPL

Hello,

I am wondering if someone made the steps to get a French UL license based on PPL. I understand that this requires a test-flight with an ULM instructor. Any experience/references (preferably in North of France as this is clooser to Belgium )?

jfw
Belgium: EBGB (Grimbergen, Brussels) - EBNM (Namur), Belgium

The French regulation makes it very easy: the minimum requirement is
- an oral knowledge test taken with your instructor;
- an in flight skill test taken with your instructor.
No written test is required as you have a PPL (any EASA PPL will do, it worked with my UK EASA license)
There is no requirement for an examiner to evaluate your skill: your instructor is the sole judge of the quality of his training.

The required training is entirely at the discretion of your instructor. The conflict of interest might have consequences: if your instructor is incompetent or greedy, it may take more time than otherwise necessary.
In my gliding club, pilots who have lost their medical can do nothing but towing gliders, as no medical is required to fly a microlight in France.
(You do need a medical if you fly a UK/Belgian microlight in France)

Last Edited by Piotr_Szut at 16 Oct 08:34
Paris, France

Don’t leave it too long – last I heard, there are plans afoot to tighten up the French ULM rules, including testing by an outside examiner. Idem for anyone thinking of becoming an instructor…do it now, rather than later!

Bordeaux

Does the oral exam have to be in French? IOW, is proficiency in French needed?

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

You don’t have to be proficient in French to get the licence.
I forgot to mention that the oral test includes an optional radiotelephony test in French
Obviously if your French is not good enough your instructor won’t tick the box aptitude à la radiotéléphonie en langue française

I’m a member of the aeroclub of Royan and I could convert your PPL there.

Paris, France
5 Posts
Sign in to add your message