Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Integration on uncontrolled French airfields

The following is a rough translation of an FFA REX (return/report of experience). I thought it might be of interest.

Description of the event:

While flying circuits on LFXX at the end of the morning with a student, I heard on the radio a pilot who announced himself in English on long final for runway 21. Several aircraft were also in the circuit, including 3 aircraft in navigation which arrive successively and announce themselves in French.
Fearing conflicting trajectories, I tell the foreign pilot in English that he cannot arrive on long final on uncontrolled terrain and that he must fit into the runway circuit downwind. He acknowledges receipt of my message and complies.
I land and taxi to the parking lot while the other planes land. I decided to contact the French crews who had the same concerns as me about the method of integrating the crew of the German Cessna 172.
One of the pilots then told me that the aircraft landed while the runway was still occupied, which poses a real safety problem.
So I decide to discuss it with the pilot of the C172. The latter takes the remark casually and immediately leaves the field on foot.

Declarant’s comment:
The proximity of the border and the many foreign aircraft calling at LFxx mean that radio messages may not be in French.

Educational summary:
the decree of July 12, 2019 relating to general air traffic procedures for the use of aerodromes by aircraft specifies that the integration of an uncontrolled aerodrome is carried out after having identified the characteristics of the latter in particular the wind, for example a vertical passage.
Integration should take place at the start 1of the downwind, giving priority to aircraft established in the runway circuit.
However, the EASA regulations and in particular the SERA regulation do not specify much on this aspect.
Foreign aircraft must nevertheless comply with the regulations of the states overflown.

Around the runway of an aerodrome generally concentrates a lot of traffic.
It is necessary to maintain great external vigilance regarding anti-collision.
respecting trajectories and radio procedures are important elements in helping to visually acquire different traffic.

Thank you for this feedback

Summary of the action plan:

Corrective actions: CRESAG declaration

Preventive actions: Easily accessible website on regulatory particularities depending on the states flown to all European pilots

France

One of the pilots then told me that the aircraft landed while the runway was still occupied, which poses a real safety problem.

What was the real safety problem?

Just a data point for busy runways:
At Wittman alone there were 21,883 aircraft operations in the 11-day period of July 20-30, which is an average of approximately 148 takeoffs/landings per hour when the airport is open.

always learning
LO__, Austria

I don’t know the safety problem as I just translated the full report. It is anonymous and the airfield is also not available to me, so I have no idea of runway length or width or whatever.
The situation was deemed important enough to go to CRESAG le Compte-Rendu d’Evénement de Sécurité Aviation Générale et son formulaire –
which IIUC comes under the DSAC to see if there is a better way of giving information to foreign pilots. This not being a matter which can be handled within the FFA.

France

Easily accessible website on regulatory particularities depending on the states flown to all European pilots

Solution: EuroGA.org

the aircraft landed while the runway was still occupied

That may or may not have been hazardous, but is nothing to do with a German pilot landing in France. It is pretty obvious if a runway is occupied.

Was this airfield FR-only? If not, no illegal act took place, unless it was the above.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The proximity of the border and the many foreign aircraft calling at LFxx mean that radio messages may not be in French.

The solution obviously is that everybody should learn French and it should be mandatory for all aviation communication worldwide to be in French.

always learning
LO__, Austria

At least people attempting to land on a french uncontrolled airfield. Otherwise Murphy’s law tells us it will come to happen once …

LFMD, France

That would do for me.😄 But I am not sure that was the problem here. It was integrating in long final ( or not integrating in the prescribed manner)that was the main complaint along with the secondary complaint of touching down while there was still an aircraft on the runway.
No one complained about the guy making announcements in English.

France

gallois wrote:

That this was a safety problem is not obvious. It depends on the length of the runway, the position of the first aircraft om the runway, the position of runway exits etc. But when the pilots are not using the same language over radio, extreme caution should be observed, of course.

Foreign aircraft must nevertheless comply with the regulations of the states overflown.

That is not clear. EU member states obviously can’t make laws or regulations that contradict EU regulations, but they also can’t introduce additional legislation for areas already regulated by the EU (unless explicitly permitted in each case). So as SERA already regulates aerodrome traffic (although in much too general terms, I agree) it is not at all clear that individual states can prescribe particular circuit joining procedures.

But in any case SERA can already be interpreted as not permitting straight-in approaches when there is already circuit traffic. SERA.3225(b): An aircraft operated on or in the vicinity of an aerodrome shall … conform with or avoid the pattern of traffic formed by other aircraft in operation.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Of course, the issue was the behaviour of the german pilot wrt how to integrate into an uncontrolled – being a french, german or papouasian.
I bet the german guy was just “another sunday pilot” like we have all around. I almost hit one in Vinon on a busy day, the faulty pilot being the glider tractor coming back to base. He never self announced in long final, no light, and as I finished my base turn, I saw it 50m under my left wing, passing me to land before.
Thess reckless behavior would deserve something.
But if the german pilot would have announced itself in long then shors final, even if not complying with the standard integration scheme, at least the other traffic would have managed the situation in a safer way.

LFMD, France

it is not at all clear that individual states can prescribe particular circuit joining procedures.

Thaat seems to be over-interpreting Brussels powers, because deviations are common everywhere, with this being one of the biggest (and especially weird). Note that this prohibition applies even when there is no traffic.

But if the german pilot would have announced itself in long then shors final, even if not complying with the standard integration scheme, at least the other traffic would have managed the situation in a safer way.

For sure, but I can’t think of a way of doing this “properly”. Most locals will not understand non-French radio calls. The next step would be to self announce in French using some crib sheet, but then you are inviting a response from somebody which you won’t understand. We’ve done this before so many times… no good solutions. Well, there is the one which I adopt: do not fly to non-towered airports in France; that basically avoids most French aeroclub traffic It doesn’t bother me (I tend to fly to certain kinds of destinations) but is not a good solution for future generations of pilots.

This guy was German which is probably expected since the other big GA “travelling” community in Europe is Britain, and they can’t go to most of France anymore (as easily as they could for decades), due to the 24/48hr PN, plus police withdrawal, which have both arrived since c. 2011.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
45 Posts
Sign in to add your message