Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Intensive PPL

I took a couple of friends flying last week and both were absolutely hooked immediately. One of them has now been looking into getting a PPL done intensively. Can anyone recommend somewhere either in the UK or (more preferably) in mainland Europe, where he could do his PPL in a few weeks on site? Obviously he'd have to do groundschool first. He's made a few enquiries locally and schools up here are quoting circa £9k to do a PPL from scratch!

thanks.

You won't get a PPL in €€€€€€€€€-land for much less than 9k.

Especially if everybody in Spain, Portugal, Italy and Greece goes out to buy a JCB to get their money out of the banks...

The key to doing a PPL "cheap" is to do it in the minimum time, which requires

• a good instructor, available when you want to fly
  • competence
  • not wasting currency by flying e.g. at weekends only
  • good weather

Assuming you can take care of the first three, the most popular place is Spain (FIS at Jerez) followed by possibly Greece (Egnatia at Kavala). I am sure there are others, but I looked into this for the JAA IR conversion and it is obvious there is no free lunch.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter, don't take this as an ad :) In our PPL school it can be done for €10k (everything included) which is some £8.5, instructors are available 24 hours if needed :) and weather is nice - the only problem is that we're quite far from UK. And we use G1000 equiped C172 for training rather than some wreckage :)

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Don't use the services of FIS (Jerez). PM me if you want to know more.

EDLE, Netherlands

It's good to have feedback here, positive and negative. Times change, people change...

I know the good reports of FIS were tied to a particular instructor working there... I hope he has now dried out from his well publicised flight.

Croatia must be a great place to learn (I regard it as Europe's flying paradise, combining great ATC with great locations to fly to) but I was totally unable to establish contact with any school there when planning the IR.

One thing which is clear to me, for a UK person training outside the UK, is that the school needs to be geared to train in English. Most schools are not - especially in some places like (perhaps suprisingly) France. That is why Egnatia are fairly popular; they train almost all foreigners (I mean not Greeks). But living in that village near Kavala must be really hard

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I was totally unable to establish contact with any school there when planning the IR.

It was totally unclear to me why it was so. I urged few people you contacted to reply but without any result. Strange ... Maybe the language barrier was the problem.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Its perfectly possible to knock off a PPL in a month in the UK if you do it at the right time of year.

Its also possible to get the lot done for under 6 thousand pounds.

I did mine in Inverness in the winter and off the top of my head it took 6 weeks. The scenery can't be beaten and the prices were very competitive within the UK. It would be reasonable to expect to get it done somewhat faster in the summer.

I am being serious - Inverness has a favourable microclimate and we were often flying when Aberdeen or Dundee were shut down. However, long-distance flights could be an issue. There were only a handful of locally unflyable days (perhaps 2 fogbound) but waiting for the weather for my first solo and qualifying x-country held me up. I also took a week getting my medical - I had wrongly assumed that because there were lots of local AMEs it would be easy.

The more I've flown in other places, the more I've come to appreciate Inverness. It's a big airport but not too busy. There are MATZs nearby, for MATZ crossings. I landed on grass at Dornoch a few times. There are several runway directions so you can practice crosswind landings and are rarely blown out. And despite the generally good weather, you tend to learn a lot about weather. The airspace is relatively simple, and you get to the training ground very quickly which makes it a very time-efficient place to learn handling skills. They also did some aerobatic training on a Super-Decathlon. And essentially it was a friendly, well thought out flying school.

Its perfectly possible to knock off a PPL in a month in the UK if you do it at the right time of year.

Its also possible to get the lot done for under 6 thousand pounds.

Bathman - When and where would you suggest? 6k sounds extremely competitive!

kwlf - thanks - will bear it in mind.

23 Posts
Sign in to add your message