Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Interesting departure clearance

Yesterday, from Dortmund EDLW to Shoreham EGKA, with this being the filed route

BAMSU M170 NOSTU DCT PODAT M170 LNO L607 KOK DCT VABIK DCT DVR M140 WIZAD M140 MAY VFR

I got cleared to MAY (not EGKA) which the first time somebody noticed the “VFR” bit But did they know after MAY (i.e. Shoreham itself) would be OCAS? I don’t think so. You could be VFR in CAS, too.

They incidentally also didn’t like the NOSTU DCT PODAT and gave me an amended DC with “BAMSU NOSTU NOR KENUM PODAT LNO”. One sometimes wonders why they are so fussy, in a 100% radar environment. I guess there is the “lost comms” scenario…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Here and there you get a very long amended clearance or a completely different one while talking to eg. Delivery at a larger airport. Once in the air it’s “direct XZY” which bypasses all the stuff you had to listen to, write down and read back before.

Frequent travels around Europe

Peter wrote:

One sometimes wonders why they are so fussy,…

Nörvenich is a military base, maybe the (minor) re-routing you got has something to do with their activities/airspace requirements.

You really shoud attract some radar controllers to this forum – many of them fly themselves in their free time – and we might finally get good answers to questions like this one

Last Edited by what_next at 01 Sep 09:41
EDDS - Stuttgart

I am sure plenty of controllers read EuroGA, but I know for sure the UK ones are prohibited from disclosing detail, under the Official Secrets Act.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

…but I know for sure the UK ones are prohibited from disclosing detail,…

I guess this will be the same (almost) everywhere, so they will certainly not talk about your specific flight. But giving generic reasons for such a minor re-routing as yours should certainly be acceptable, like “keep you further away from military airspace” or “keep you out of the instrument arrivals of Cologne”.

Last Edited by what_next at 01 Sep 10:06
EDDS - Stuttgart
5 Posts
Sign in to add your message