Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

iPad "hacking"

Alexis wrote:

Apple gives the developers a great development toolkit, a perfectly well organized worldwide shop for their apps

The toolkit is not really great and I have no intention to market my programs. On every computer I have owned so far (quite a few) I was able to write programs for my own use. Free of charge, unless the development software would cost something (which on a unix based computer is not usually the case). The iPad is the first one which doesn’t let me write my programs without an annual (!) payment.

EDDS - Stuttgart

I am not a software engineer myself, but I think that you CAN install your own apps on your iPad simply with only your Apple-ID:

http://blog.ionic.io/deploying-to-a-device-without-an-apple-developer-account/

I do not know if this is correct.

Last Edited by at 30 Sep 18:28

As others have said, to be able to install apps on an iOS device you need to be a Registered Developer with Apple. It costs €99 per year.

Once installed, your app can not see any the files belonging to other apps.

Sharing of files on iOS is done differently. You present the file to the OS, and it offers the user apps that can open that file type. The programmer has no access to other programs files; it can’t even see if they exist. This makes it very hard to spread viruses etc.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

It would be a lot easier to

• root the device
  • do what you need to do
  • avoid visiting p0rn websites and use a decent email filtering service

I realise point #3 potentially limits the utility, but the payoff is worth it, and if you have a girlfriend, it comes down just to the email filtering bit

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Alexis wrote:

I am not a software engineer myself, but I think that you CAN install your own apps on your iPad simply with only your Apple-ID:

http://blog.ionic.io/deploying-to-a-device-without-an-apple-developer-account/

I do not know if this is correct.

I had a quick look but did not try it out (would have to install iOS 9 on by iPad after which I can probably throw away 50% of my older apps). This method obviously uses some obscure hole/bug in the iTunes Store by which you can circumvent the annual payment using not your own (!) but some new Apple ID (I wouldn’t even know how to create a new Apple ID for me). I am pretty sure that this hole has been plugged by now, and even if not, the procedure is complicated and there is always the risk that your selfmade Apps will be disabled the day Apple finds out about them.

EDDS - Stuttgart

will be disabled the day Apple finds out about them.

That is yet another reason for rooting a device – IOS or android. You can put stuff in the hosts file to block apps talking to Apple, Google or anybody else. You can stop selected apps from seeing the internet. So critical stuff doesn’t just suddenly stop working.

One does the same on PCs running critical stuff. Block apps in the firewall, or via lmhosts.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

That is yet another reason for rooting a device – IOS or android.

I was under the impression that:

1. iOS rooting options have become hard, few, and too worthy on the black market to share publicly. So basically not available to the public.
  2. Jeppesen FD will not work on a rooted iOS device, so no Jeppesen plates for you if you root your device. And no way to have Jeppesen plates on an Android device…
ELLX

1. IOS 9 and 10 appear to be supported.
2. There are other ways to solve that one

Administrator
18 Posts
Sign in to add your message