Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

IR proficiency check with G1000

Sure, one could reboot the PFD but if this happens at a bad time (e.g. when displaying a Jepp approach plate – because you are flying an approach) that’s really bad news.

Whether it has happened with terminal charts, I don’t know, but they would be the biggest vulnerability – because the data is complex and you get a new load every 14 or 28 days. I have never heard of it posted openly. But then I “have never heard” of both Avidyne and Garmin glass going blank during normal flight and having to be rebooted, either – that sort of stuff comes from pilots directly, face to face or in email. It has certainly happened.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Sure, one could reboot the PFD

My old GPS (BRNAV certified, TSO C129) crashed twice in flight, at about the same place (roughly near Coningsby). I rebooted it in flight, but it took me around half an hour, at a significant workload. And that GPS didn’t even have graphics (two text line dot matrix LED display)

LSZK, Switzerland

I had to reboot the G1000 a couple of times.

After a recent engine replacement, we had issues where the voltage dropped below a certain level during engine startup.
After engine start, the G1000 units came online again, but in a inconsistent state; communication between PFD and MFD was lost, GPS kept in a “Acquiring Signal” state.

This behavior resulted in a AI loss during flight last month.
The only way to get rid of it is to pull the PFD, MFD, NAV1 and NAV2 CB’s.

It should be resolved now. A small battery is added which will provide power to the G1000 during engine start. It’s a STC for the G1000 although I don’t have the details…

It should be resolved now. A small battery is added which will provide power to the G1000 during engine start. It’s a STC for the G1000 although I don’t have the details…

Huh? What aircraft is that? I’ve only used the G1000 on Cessna 172S aircraft, but there a standby battery is not only standard equipment, but a no-go item if it doesn’t work.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

DA40 G1000…

Cadets at CTC certainly used to fulfil the partial panel requirement prior to IR Test by completing training on the BE76 sim at Professional Air Training at Bournemouth. This I believe was signed off prior to IR test in the DA42.

London area
36 Posts
Sign in to add your message