Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Is there too much elitism in GA?

Financed by his own money.

That’s Norway once again of course There is no way my 17 year old son could earn enough money to pay for his flying training where we live. Not with the kind of job that is available for a 17 year old at least. Not even I (earning my money in the GA sector) could pay flying lessons for my son… So he will have to go to university instead, that’s free.
And regarding the original topic: Among the people who work in GA like myself there is exactly zero elitism.

Last Edited by what_next at 02 May 11:22
EDDS - Stuttgart

An interesting topic, and actually a very interesting one. I have not seen elitism in GA, the opposite in fact, where people who are genuinely interested in their aeroplanes, and in flying, are always keen to discuss, regardless if they pitch up in a GV, or a Cub. What I have found however, is the inverse snobbery types, generally floating around with twisty silver moosetaches, spouting nonsense about long ago air raids, and how unless the wind is rattling through the wires, it isn’t an aeroplane. They also used to work as examiners with the CAA.

Seriously though, I have stated this before, the fact is that 95% of the U.K. population, don’t have enough in the bank to cover two months mortgage payments, and are hocked on credit cards. Folks who have worked hard, own the yacht, fast car, big house, aeroplane, are seen as wealthy, and actually are in comparison, and in a world of their own. Aviation is seen externally as elitist, and there are those who are working very hard to change that perception, but it is not an easy road.

This in turn brings envy, which is available in spades in all walks of life, and sadly, forums such as this, show shades of it at times. That however, is another debate.

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

Probably the most active privately owned aircraft that I know first hand, is a syndicate who operate a nice C-65 powered Aeronca Chief, probably on an hourly cost not much higher than a round of beers at the local pub. Syndicates formed round simple aircraft (another well utilised syndicate aircraft that I know is a 150hp Warrior) are a very economical proposition. Pilots in more advanced aircraft don’t act superior towards these pilots – so in that sense I don’t see much elitism. Hollywood might have come up with a flying club version of Caddyshack if there was.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Is someone elitist if he uses her/his plane to allow other people to discover aviation? How many of us do that? Give the local kid a ride in the plane? Take friends on a weekend? Take someone who’s never flown in a small GA plane for lunch somewhere or just muck around in the pattern?
I guess if we were all to do that regardless of the amount of money we spend or the type we fly, light aviation would be perceived as less of a nuisance for elitist people.

Last Edited by LFHNflightstudent at 03 May 06:21
LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

Elitist?
Hardly.
Expensive?
Definitely yes.
But because all related with aviation is overly expensive, and the services are provided to a cost that does not even close reflect what you receive.
State taxation is incredible, not only over fuel but over services that you don’t see a return, like radio taxes.

Yes, GA pilots and especially GA owners need to have above average incomes to support flying or having an airplane.

On my particular case.
I woke up to aviation after 30’s thought FS and IVAO. At that time, despite work stability, I had no financial capacity even to engage on a PPL. On my late 40’s, and after changing career, I got my financial capacity to start engaging aviation courses. Tired of flying on my comfort zone, and having limited resources to buy a SEP, I went through the exercise and bought an Arrow IV at a very good price. I am 49 on my way to the 50’s. Instead I could have bought a nice new Porsche Boxter or an used 911, less headache with overly expensive after buying expenses continually coming and depleting my bank account.

From an outsider perspective, every time that in a conversation I mention that I own a SEP, I am looked like an alien. Those that make me an elitist? No, probably an eccentric on others people eyes.

Why did I buy a plane?
Because I love flying.
Because I was tired of fly on my comfort zone.
Because I was tired to justify to whom use to rent hours, where to go and when to go.
Because I want to use it for travelling on my spare time, and not 100 nm around my home base.

Am I an elitist? I really don’t think so.

What did I get in return?
A huge hole on my bank account.
Satisfaction.
Became a better pilot, with 65 hour (including PPL) on my belt, I did ferry my aircraft from Finland to Cyprus. First I had to re-study a lot, plan and train possible routes on FS, and after 18 hours alone, with hard go/no go decisions due to enroute weather, I did became a better pilot on safety issues.

Conclusion
I am currently much poor on financial terms, much happier person and not elitist.

LPSR, Portugal

LFHNflightstudent wrote:

Is someone elitist if he uses her/his plane to allow other people to discover aviation? How many of us do that? Give the local kid a ride in the plane?

The EEA has a program for this. It’s called Young Eagles.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving wrote:

The EEA has a program for this.

You don’t have to go as far as to the States for that. I guess that every gliding club holds open days on several occasions per year where youngsters can do trial flights for free or for a symbolic price. Also we have “summer holiday programs” for school children around here were every sports club and similar organisation will organise a weekend (or even more) to introduce children to their activity, usually at no charge.

And by the way: In my experience, glider pilots (a very large group within our GA scene) are about the less elitist persons one can imagine.

EDDS - Stuttgart

Sometimes, in some pockets of society, there is a feeling called envy. Sometimes, it even grows to be an ‘envy culture’. That means, instead of looking at themselves in order to figure out what they should change in their lives, some people are looking onto other people’s lives nurturing their bad feelings about them. They call them rich people, happy bastard, elitist idiot. But it’s ever the same: They’re envious, because someone (neighbor, coworker, family member, or even a stranger on the street) seems to be wealthier, more educated, healthier, happier, or whatever. It’s a dead end street. There’s no happiness at the end, only frustration. And guess what, there’s always someone who shits a bigger heap. If it goes the other way, it’s called katharsis and an element of medieval stage play. Meaning, the average man in the auditorium sees the kings and nobles on stage having the same problems he has, and walks out satisfied money doesn’t solve every problem.

People are different. That’s the basis of our society. All property (also planes) only have been built in the first place because there were people to buy them. Come to think of it, everything has. Even the Gotthard tunnel only exists because one man was crazy and hellbound enough to have it built.

So, what is this crying all about ? One way to get over (perceived) “elites” would be force everyone to exactly own and do the same as the next guy. Oh, wait, didn’t work, it was called communism. Which tends to build its elites very quickly, too. Even the bloody North Koreans have their elites. Perhaps consisting of people whose relatives haven’t been shreddered by an anti aircraft gun. Or whatever. Every group which creates a groupthink, is being perceived as elitist at some level by some of those standing outside.

Last Edited by EuroFlyer at 03 May 13:19
Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany
glider pilots (a very large group within our GA scene) are about the less elitist persons one can imagine

Yes and no. While I have never known any glider pilot to boast about being rich our being famous, I have known more than one boasting about being a superior pilot. Not always without reason, mind you, but still… humility is a virtue.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Some pilots are very materialistic. They scorn as “spamcans” aircraft not made of the same material as their aircraft.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message