Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Is this evidence that ELTs don't do anything useful?

An ELT antenna which is submerged by just a couple of cm of water will suffer to much attenuation from the water, to be effective. A fixed gear aircraft is likely to turn over, so the antenna will be in the water and covered by the wings.

I think a PLB and / or Safelink as addition to an ELT would be better for those flying frequently over water.

A non 406 MHz is quite useless, as well as an incorrect coded and / or registered ELT or PLB. It is VERY common for these to be either programmed incorrectly or not registered, which makes them quite useless. I am always amazed people spent money on these safety devices, but doesn’t seem bother to maintain them.

During testing I will frequently find the switched off with customers stating not to drain the battery. Please always leave your ELT in the ARM position.

Manually triggering would be could to do at an emergency. As NCYankee pointed out, it takes 50 seconds for the first 406 MHz burst is transmitted. If the antenna is broken, submerged in water within that time, the transmission is lost.

Been trying to find those for years.

They are out their.

I don’t think the system is perfect, but sure better that nothing.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ
11 Posts
Sign in to add your message