Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Is this fresh oil after a change?

Looks like the drain was not done with a warm engine, leaving residue and there seems to be a crack in the manifold hose?

EBST

RobertL18C wrote:

@Bobo quite popular in the USA to get oil analysis trends. The thinking in the UK is that this makes sense for turbines but you risk false positives. These old design engines make a variety of carbon and metal, and eyeballing the open filter for metal and carbon should be sufficient. It is quite obvious if your engine is not happy by inspecting the filter carefully.

For the 50 dollars it costs (give or take) it beats eyeballing the dipstick anyday. A maintenance company worth their beans cuts the filter, blackstone just adds extra info. Well worth the modest fee.

(I have no shares or other interest)

EHTE, Netherlands

I’ve just seen the way the thread has displayed the photo. It cuts off the bottom part so here’s the full image which may alter things a bit.

I did that, because a thread cannot be promoted to the home page banners (which is essential because most people never read the other threads ) if it contains an image wider than 600 pixels (or a lot of text). Cropping etc images in post #1 is one of my daily admin tasks. An automatic solution was looked at way back but it is too complicated.

The thinking in the UK is that this makes sense for turbines but you risk false positives.

I don’t buy that

Look at the various oil analysis threads. Oil analysis can show some very relevant stuff. The main issue is that the European GA scene is basically disinterested in getting “too technical”, and much of it is dominated by school/club planes where obviously nobody is going to be too interested.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@Bobo similar situation to the overzealous and invasive prostate checks in private medicine leading to ridiculous false positives and unnecessary procedures

Good investment for turbines with clear parameters for trend analysis, voodoo for Conti and Lyco saurii

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

overzealous and invasive prostate checks in private medicine leading to ridiculous false positives and unnecessary procedures

Only if done by uninformed people (which unfortunately there are plenty of in medicine, especially at the GP level). A different topic, but modern “active surveillance”, with 6m PSA tests and a couple of 3T MRIs early on and 1 year spacing, is the right way. So yes there are similarities between oil analysis and active prostate surveillance in that it is about establishing a baseline and monitoring a trend.

Administrator

@RobertL18C English is a second language but I don’t recall misspelling oil for anal? I always thought it very useful info, more useful then posting a photo of a dipstick on a forum for analysis anyway.

Lets not start posting rectal pics for analysis. Butt (…) I guess there is a forum for everything…

EHTE, Netherlands

Thanks Vref. There is indeed !

Pig
If only I’d known that….
EGSH. Norwich. , United Kingdom

Any lab recommendations in the UK please. Found a few online but nothing better than the benefit of someone else’s experience…

Pig
If only I’d known that….

Take a look here.

Administrator

Thanks Peter. Black stone it is Thanks for your help. J

Pig
If only I’d known that….
Sign in to add your message