Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Is Trump likely to mess with the FAA and its support for non US based N-reg community?

A question for our American colleagues.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

FAA “supports” non US based N reg ?

Hmm, never really got that impression, would say it’s more like tolerates than supports …

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

I think the biggest risk is that he tears up the Visa Waiver Program which may make it harder for those who need an FAA BFR, but I think that’s unlikely. The biggest issue is that he’s got his finger on the bloody nuclear button.

Andreas IOM

You can get an FAA BFR with any number of FAA CFIs over here in Europe, surely?

Stopping the airline visa waiver would dynamite tourism to the USA… I can’t really see that happening.

Administrator

No doubt the status of N-Regs abroad will be one of his top priorities on assuming office!

Tököl LHTL

In his acceptance speech this morning, Donald Trump stated that: “he would protect American interests throughout the world”.
I think, then, that Americans in Europe flying ‘N’ planes should have nothing to fear.
We Brits who have ‘N’ planes will, I am sure, be happy to ‘piggy-back’ on their continued relationship with Uncle Sam!

Rochester, UK, United Kingdom

There is a risk that he will tamper with the visa waiver program if he is serious about denying entry to the US to certain religious groups. However, he can deal with that using the ESTA travel authorisation. I could imagine that the countries for which visas are required if there is a double citizenship will increase massively.

Personally i don’t think that he will bother the UK, just the opposite, he will try to tie close relations to a post Brexit UK.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

alioth wrote:

The biggest issue is that he’s got his finger on the bloody nuclear button.

That is a cheap shot. The same was said about Reagan.The ones to worry about are players such as Kim Jung Un and Iran.

KUZA, United States

I think the ‘biggest issue’ in Europe is that it may be asked to pay for its own defence.

Peter wrote:

A question for our American colleagues.

I can’t see any Congressional or Executive (FAA) policy change that would affect European owners specifically. Generically, I suppose the User Fee battle could become more difficult for GA, and if carried to an extreme (e.g. paperwork fees) that could equally affect owners of European based N-registered planes.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 10 Nov 22:35

I have always thought that allowing the worldwide N-reg scene is a great way to win points and influence for the USA around the world, at a minimal cost to the US taxpayer… mainly the cost of international airmail

Administrator
61 Posts
Sign in to add your message