Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

JU52 HB-HOT down near Flims

T28 wrote:

The final report is out – very thorough investigative piece.

Crash assigned to the crew ignoring basic safety altitude requirements for alpine flying which led to a windshear-induced stall being irrecoverable due to terrain proximity.

So the fact the aircraft was an “oldtimer” had no relevance?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

A lot of maintenance shortcomings were identified but none having a direct or even indirect influence on the outcome.

When the aircraft went through a downdraft area the crew corrected with nose-high input. As a result when they transited into an updraft the AoA increased significantly and the plane entered into an accelerated stall. Recovery control inputs were correct (don’t fight the stalling wing) but altitude and terrain prroximity prevented a recovery.

Last Edited by T28 at 28 Jan 09:51
T28
Switzerland

@T28, do you have link to the report ?

This may be of interest. I can’t watch it for some reason – may be behind a paywall. May be same video as above.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It is incredibly sad to watch this video, but anyone who plans to fly in the mountains must do so.

One of the first and most important rules is never to cross a ridge at 90 degrees, but always to approach at a small angle, so that at the very last moment the pilot has to choice either to cross, or turn away back into the valley.

The pilots of the Junkers, despite having loads of mountain experience, or maybe because they did and were blase, had only one route out, across the ridge. When they hit descending air they had increase the angle of attack to try and out climb, leading to the stall and spin in.

Upper Harford private strip UK, near EGBJ, United Kingdom

Too true. Sadly they imposed themseves a mid-valley, ridge height trajectory to be able to see the Martinsloch (a hole in the rocks) on the left.

Having said that, that valley is an U-shape about 1’000m ridge – to – ridge; I don’t know what the turn radius of a Junkers at cruise speed is but I certainly wouldn’t want to have to try an U-turn in there (in that size aeroplane).

T28
Switzerland

Peter wrote:

May be same video as above.

Not the same video (I can see the start screen), but cannot play it either. Maybe Switzerland only.

Last Edited by 172driver at 30 Jan 13:01

172driver wrote:

Not the same video (I can see the start screen), but cannot play it either. Maybe Switzerland only.

I can play it (Sweden), so not Switzerland only.

It is the same video, except that some parts in the beginning and the end are missing from the second video. These parts are only text that connects the video with the accident investigation – nothing of interest.
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

It works ok on my laptop with the latest Windows software but my German is ‘O’ level 1964. The video reconstruction was helpful with its serious message.

Archer2
EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message

Threads possibly related to this one