Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

KI-256 calibrating to KFC-200

I own a P210 with a KFC-200 autopilot and the KI-256.

At the moment Im looking into keeping the old setup and getting Cheaper replacements vs Overhauling vs Glass.

The KCS-55A seems to be easy to replace with “new” parts, but the Attitude/Flight Director KI-256 needs to be re-calibrated to fly the autopilot correctly.
I have the following questions:

+ Is the calibration done in the Autopilot or in the KI-256? If the latter, could I have 2 different KI-256 calibrated for quick exchange?
+ Im located in the Boden-See(lake of Constance) area. Where would be the best place to do calibration? I see some members have bought a cabe to do this themselves. Is this an expensive solution? I thought one needed a big test suitcase to do this!
+ Will the KI-256 Mod 11 do away with the need for calibration towards the KFC-200? Or is this only for the KFC-225?

So far I have brought all avionics part needing repair or Overhaul to the US. But it would be great to hear where you guys have found a good and maybe price reasonable repair station in Europe.

BR
Espen

spirit49
LOIH

My avionics work is done by GAMA Aviation at Fairoaks (EGTF). I have a KFC-200 and KI-256. I’m very happy with their work and standard of knowledge.

It’s worth the price of a telephone call to +44 1276 859283.

Hope this helps.

Spending too long online
EGTF Fairoaks, EGLL Heathrow, United Kingdom

Its maybe possible to send them the Autopilot computer and KI-256 by post.

Do you remember what you paid for such a calibration

spirit49
LOIH

Avionik Straubing in EDMS is about 45 min from your home base. That’s probably the most qualified shop in Europe.

But expensive.

They wanted 2500€ for repairing my KS-271A roll servo.

Did the same repair for 1100$ in the US.

Im really dreading the future hiccups that might come along on the Autopilot.
Then again, sending the Autopilot Computer + KI-256 to USA isn’t really an option either.

spirit49
LOIH

I know the KFC225 – I wrote this – and not the KFC200, but they are probably similar in these aspects.

The KI256 contains pitch and roll pickoff coils – essentially, for each of the pitch and roll axes, an LVDT which is excited with a waveform produced by the autopilot – and the autopilot contains adjustments for the variation in the signals which these produce. On the KFC225, these are stupidly located as trimpots (doubly stupidly on a digital product which could store values in an EEPROM) on the side of the KC225 computer, so to get to them you need the $1500 bus extender (which I have) so you can get a little adjustment screwdriver into these trimpots.

If you get a KI256 Mod 11 and you get the KC225 adjusted for it then it is much less likely that you will ever need to do that adjustment again if you change the KI256 for another Mod 11 unit.

There is no usable adjustment in the KI256.

The autopilot adjustment needs to be done with the whole aircraft; you can’t do just the autopilot on the bench unless you have a complete test harness for that particular model and I am damn sure no European shop will have that. No UK shop has it for 100% sure (I have been to them all). Lees Avionics (Gama) can do it but they need the whole aircraft. And I am not sure whether they can do it unless Harry Lees is personally present (they certainly could not last time I used them for this, c. 2008).

The great thing about sending stuff to the USA (e.g. Castleberry Instruments for the KI256; they actually used to make them for Honeywell in the early days) is that they have the volume and the experience. There is much less experience in Europe. The last KI256 I had repaired in the UK took 6 months (luckily I have a spare on the shelf) and when it came the company said, in the best “British builder fait accompli” tradition, that they no longer can generate any paperwork for it! I am fed up with the crap service I have had in Europe.

sending the Autopilot Computer + KI-256 to USA isn’t really an option either.

I don’t know how many US shops have the bench setup for this test. The big ones like Autopilots Central might have.

They wanted 2500€ for repairing my KS-271A roll servo.

You can probably get a new/overhauled one from South East Aerospace in Florida Just be aware that there is no mandatory replacement at overhaul of either the motor or the tachometer, so you can get an overhauled servo with a knackered motor/tacho in it…

The KFC200 is normally a very good autopilot which doesn’t have the major servo burning-out issue of the KFC225. The servos ought to last 1000-2000hrs on the KFC200.

In my experience, the German firm mentioned has an “interesting” attitude to people who want to give them money – which I find highly unattractive. But others are happy with them, so clearly this varies.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It is somewhat very tempting to start saving for the G500 with the GAD43e.

Does the GAD43e, need the same amount of tweaking towards the KFC-200 to work well, or is this process easier to do?
I mean if there is an issue after the installer has left on the plane back to the US.

The 1100$ repair was new motor + 2 Tachometers.
An exchange or OH was much more. However I never checked with SE Aerospace. Thats good info for future issues. Thanks

Last Edited by spirit49 at 29 Nov 21:31
spirit49
LOIH

AFAIK the GAD43 (and also Aspen’s EA100 which does the same job for their EFD1000) just emulates the two (pitch and roll) pickoff coils of the KI256.

I think these products take in ARINC429 pitch/roll data (from an AHRS gyro which generates ARINC429 pitch/roll – like my Sandel SG102) and emulate an LVDT.

(It’s quite a fun thing to design; I thought about doing it for the SG102 and getting an FAA STC for it – for use as a backup pitch/roll source for the KFC autopilots. But I think the market is too small.)

The emulation could be done “totally precisely” but if an autopilot has been previously calibrated for say one KI256 and then it is used with the GAD43, it could be out just the same.

My guess is that (unless Garmin and Aspen did a truly crap design) once an autopilot is set up for one of these boxes, it will never need its pitch/roll nulls re-adjusted. But who knows?

BTW the tachos (Faulhaber) are about €40 each – obviously not from an “aviation” source but I can’t see you need that so long as you get a CofC. The Globe motor is not obtainable separately (I have tried) but I vaguely recall it is priced around $500.

Due to these issues, and Honeywell’s refusal to even admit there is an issue for over 10 years, there is a lot of unofficial KS270x servo repair going on in the field. I know of several avionics shops that do it (Europe). Any good electronic engineer can do it. The issues are obtaining some of the parts. If the mechanicals wear out, there is nothing you can do, but they rarely do. The motors cannot be obtained (except the brush assembly which is same as a standard Globe motor, about €200).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I believe the offer I got was with a overhauled motor.
Still comes with a 1 year warranty.

So I think that the price is still ok compared to the 2500€ repair.

Just hope that the rest of the servos stays operational.
The autopilot has performed great so far. Rock stable until the roll servo died
Hope it stays that way.

spirit49
LOIH
9 Posts
Sign in to add your message