Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

L2K airport becomes QE2 airport, and consultation on the airport's future

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

In the next AIP cycle we’ll see Elizabeth Tower 118.450 MHz :)

EGTF, United Kingdom

Interesting that it is a French airport which gets renamed now. I could have imagined something like this happening in the UK.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

The mayor of Le Touquet, Daniel Fasquelle, announced this Wednesday in a press release that he wanted to rename Le Touquet-Paris Plage airport with the name of Elizabeth II, in tribute to the late Queen of England.

Subject to validation by the city council, the international airport of Le Touquet will henceforth bear the name “Elizabeth II”. A decision that makes sense because of the very special link between the city of Le Touquet and England, particularly with the queen.

Hard to believe they will let him do it… politically, current times. There is a bit of a precedent though: the road leading to the airport is called something like Avenue of the Royal Air Force.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Hard to believe they will let him do it… politically, current times.

Why?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

The French despite being a Republic having decapitated its royal family have/had a very strong affection for Queen Elizabeth II.
This stems from many things which she did over her lifetime but in particular a visit she made either just before or just after she became Queen where she spoke to the people in perfect French.
I think the bigger problem in renaming LFAT might be objections from the UK government or perhaps the Royal family itself.
If France thought it might be thought disrespectful to the Queen, they will not do it.

As president Macron put it " she was THE QUEEN"

Last Edited by gallois at 15 Sep 06:21
France

Few roads are named after her and actually more to come (e.g. Paris, Dinard, Reims)

Not surprising given how much her majesty has a place in the heart of old generation French who had the chance to have her speak to them…She had no political attachement and was more of symbol, even for people in a Republic

I would be more surprised if it was planned to be rename ‘Aéroport Boris Johnson’ that would have been a big “faux pas” given current politics !

Last Edited by Ibra at 15 Sep 06:55

Ibra wrote:

Few roads are named after her and actually more to come (e.g. Paris, Dinard, Reims)

There is ample precedence of naming streets and other things after British rulers in France. In Paris alone I recall the Avenue Victoria, Avenue George V and a street named after Mary Stewart. I believe there is one more named after Edouard VII? Also there are streets named after American presidents (4 or 5 I believe) and even Russian Tsars.

As for the late Queen Elisabeth II, I guess she will be remembered in France also for speaking perfect French. I recall my surprise when she did so on a state visit to Switzerland. And of course she was rightfully respected everywhere for her decade long dedication and duty along with a personality which endeared her to most who ever had the honor of meeting her.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Peter wrote:

Hard to believe they will let him do it…

It would be paradoxical if such a generous and ‘pro-British’ gesture was opposed/criticized by, above all, UK GA pilots.
Anything that encourages the (English) use of Le Touquet, and/or ensures its continuance as one of the most friendly of nearby Customs airports, is to be welcomed.
One assumes that with the very regular use of the field by President Macron it has his (and his wife’s?) approval.
If the suggestion gets to the ‘petition’ stage, I hope EuroGA (and AOPA?) will be involved in encouraging support.

Last Edited by Peter_G at 15 Sep 09:14
Rochester, UK, United Kingdom

Far better than rename it “Joan of Arc Airport”, then remove LeToquuet from PPF list and remove that UK union jack flag from airport soil (it’s always in LFAT airport third pylon along with French flag, EU flag and now with Ukraine flag)

49 Posts
Sign in to add your message