Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Landing with a tailwind

Hi All,

I am flying somewhere tomorrow that has a noise sensitive area around it, and prefers take-offs in a southerly direction and landings in a northerly direction to avoid overflying a residential area. You can operate in both directions if required due wind etc.

The current forecast tomorrow means that I would be landing with a 06/G09 knot tailwind component.

Does anyone have have any experience of this in a PA28-161?

My thoughts are to reduce final approach speed to about 50 to 55 knots (this is something that I do practice often and can fly some slow final approaches) to touch down at about 40 to 45 then if the aircraft floats for any length I can apply power and execute a go-around with a fairly abrupt but comfortable right turn at the end of the runway to avoid the residential area... Of course if in any doubt I can/will overfly because annoying one person vs death, I know which option I would prefer. But I would like to attempt to offer a diligent approach and try to meet their requirement, and try to save a few possible annoying phone calls.

Cheers

Jon

Edited to correct my grammar!!! :)

EDHS, Germany

If the runway is long, then it's not a problem, especially not in a PS28 which flares nicely in ground effect.

I wouldn't approach with 50 knots, that's dangerous because your stall margin in case of gusts/turbulence is dismal. I'd just use normal approach speed.

Make sure to be well aligned with the runway, draggin the poor aircraft sideways over its tyres is not appreciated by the owner usually

How long is the rwy ?

I actually had to do just that on a regular basis during my initial PPL training. I learned to fly on PA28-161/181s at KBUR - similar to Stansted - and the prevailing winds there are from the SW. Normal landing rwy 08 and also departing for light a/c (rwy 15 is mostly used as departure rwy for CAT).

If memory serves (it's been a while), we accepted a tailwind component of up to 4 or 5 kts. No big deal, BUT of course KBUR 08 is about 6000 ft, so a bit of floating is not an issue.

Personally, I wouldn't want to get too slow on this - rwy length permitting - as some windshear (especially as you already say G09) can really ruin your day.

Of course if in any doubt I can/will overfly because annoying one person vs death, I know which option I would prefer.

+1 to that !!

I would be reluctant to land downwind. Approaches to landing are quiet anyway and unlikely to generate noise complaints especially if you're doing them at near idle power with a fixed pitch prop (approaches that are likely to be noisier are those with constant speed props carrying significant power and jamming the prop control forward while carrying power, making that rrrrRRRRRRR! noise.) It's doubtful that you can hear a light plane at near idle power if you're inside of a house.

Even a 5 knot tailwind component really changes how an approach progresses. If you've done it plenty of times then it's not a problem, or if the runway's 5000 foot long then it's not much of an issue but you'll be surprised how different it feels. Don't forget wind gradients - the wind at the height you start the approach and down to a couple of hundred feet at is likely to be quite a bit stronger so you may find yourself high and (apparently) quite fast and on an unusually shallow glideslope (especially in a PA-28 which doesn't have very effective flaps). As you fly through the wind gradient getting closer to the ground you'll probably find your airspeed is higher than normal too - your aircraft has inertia and won't instantly respond to the changing wind speed as you descend - which could lead to unexpected extra floating in ground effect.

Andreas IOM

...to reduce final approach speed...

Fly with your normal approach speed as usual. Look up the required runway length for tailwind landings in your AFM and calculate the point on the runway by which you must be on the ground at latest (e.g. if your aircraft requires 400m ground roll with 10kt tailwind and your runway is 700m long, you must touch down within the first 300m). If it looks like you will miss that point, go around immediately. Straight ahead, no turns below 500ft. Crashing into houses makes much more noise than flying over them.

EDDS - Stuttgart

I can confirm that a 9kt tailwind is going to make you float a very looooooooong way down the runway

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I wouldn't approach with 50 knots, that's dangerous because your stall margin in case of gusts/turbulence is dismal.

Mmm... Embarrassed face on... Yes, I was flying a C172 last weekend down to about 35 knots with full flaps, on a careful "play around" with a instructor friend of mine. The PA28 is higher...

The runway is about 670 meters long, so I do currently have a couple of alarm bells in my head about safety. I know that I can land a PA28 in just under 300 meters in still wind when very current on type, so I would be happy to do this in 400 tomorrow... That leaves just under 300.... I think I will try once and if I float then I will go around and land with headwind.

EDHS, Germany

The runway is about 670 meters long...

Should be no problem with a Pa28. Just aim at a point more in front of the threshold than you usually would (maybe 50m or so) and all will be fine.

EDDS - Stuttgart

A downwind landing will take up much more runway that you are expecting....even allowing for the fact that you're expecting it to take up much more ;)

Your first try you'll try to hit the threshold and be surprised when it goes by and you keep flying. Expect to go around on your first try.....If you don't have to then great, but expect that you will.

Don't fall into the trap of thinking that once you are on the ground normality returns. Your ground run will be much longer too. So if you float a bit don't expect to make it up once you touch down.

dp

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Ps. I'd be reluctant to take a 9kt downwind landing onto a 700mtr runway if I'd a choice. If I did I'd certainly be treating it as a short field landing using full flap and the appropriate speed for that configuration.

EIWT Weston, Ireland
41 Posts
Sign in to add your message