Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Land's End EGHC - New instrument approach procedure devised

Land’s End now has an instrument approach (RNAV 07) and approaches to the other runways will follow. See here.

The good:

• a former VFR-only airport getting IFR procedures is rare, and always a good thing
  • the missed approach doesn’t require an ADF

The bad:

• it seems like they will charge you, even if the approach is genuinely not for training purposes (a minor point, admittedly)
  • minima a bit high
  • the approach to runway 07 will take aircraft over water and out of glide for quite a bit of time

The ugly:

A truckload of UK-type bullshit comes with the new procedure. See the link above.
That includes lots of CYA, PPR, booking procedures, slots, lots of do’s and don’ts, etc. They ask you to hit a ten-minute slot window at the IAF, which is ridiculous on a multiple-hour flight.

P.S. For the merits of Land’s End as a destination, see here.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 22 Mar 17:11
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

It’s a (slow) start at least. More RNAV approaches are promised for other runways, including LPV which should have much lower minima.
They are clearly targeting the commercial market for traffic to/from St Mary’s and GA training is probably more of a side-issue.
Timed arrival slots would be used to fit alongside scheduled flights.
One wonders if and when St Mary’s might upgrade their timed NDB approach to something more modern – having also had a major runway and terminal upgrade, it seems a logical next step.

I do agree with your “ugly” comments. We can only hope that this doesn’t set a pattern or default for other future RNAV approaches elsewhere. Requiring PPR to use an IAP for a normal landing is unfortunate – our weather is very changeable here in the UK and the purpose of the IAPs is to cope with that. I also disagree that any additional pilot qualifications should be required other than current instrument rating [IR or IR(R)].

PS: I like your trip report and photos from the area. I recall seeing them before but had forgotten just how nice that area can be.

Last Edited by DavidC at 22 Mar 18:23
FlyerDavidUK, PPL & IR Instructor
EGBJ, United Kingdom

My take on this is that in reality you will be able to file an IFR FP there and just land normally, using the IAP.

PPR, yes, but that’s just a phone call (advisable anyway for the usual reasons, and this place speaks a reasonable dialect of English) and ATC is rarely anywhere near as anal and privately they usually ridicule the “manager” who demands PPR.

Also every airport with an IAP has to limit trafic from all the FTOs (or schools training the IMCR) within flying range who are on a constant quest for the cheapest (or free) IAP. The other day I heard one UK FTO banging the ILS at some N French airport – I didn’t know the UK CAA allowed this and I know one FTO was refused permission to train outside the UK (ridiculously). Any airfield with free or “cheap” IAPs will get inundated with FTO or IMCR training traffic. In the “dead” N French ones they are probably grateful for some activity during the weekdays but the UK ones have their finances under scrutiny and they want to make money off it, so they book slots. I have to book a slot at Lydd for an ILS (no landing) and that one is busy even at £20. Southampton used to be free but not anymore.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

BTW, could it be that the RNAV approaches for EGHC have never been published by Jeppesen?

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Current cycle:

Gosh, wow, it’s even got LPV

They will be going for Class D next

Millions have been spent on the airport. Interesting how they plan to recover that. There isn’t a lot of population down there so they probably won’t be doing 18-30 Club airbuses to Ibetha… mostly it is Scilly Isles traffic, AFAIK.

It is a very scenic destination though, so maybe flights from the “London area” airports etc?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
5 Posts
Sign in to add your message