Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Latest IAOPA news

Stockholm and Munich should become partner cities, maybe under the label “The most GA unfriendly big cities of Europe”

Martin: I know these two airports are a huge distance away, but what is the situation at Västeras and Skavsta (Nyköping) for visiting GA? On paper, they seem decent (H24, IFR, 100LL available). Västeras seems to be PPR by NOTAM, but if that’s just a formality then it’s no big deal. Is there any feasible public transport to Stockholm from both?

Anyway, the situation is quite the same in Iceland. if they close BIRK, then local GA in Iceland will probably be 50% done.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 08 Jan 14:03
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Skavsta is no problem, H24 but 100km from Stockholm. There are airport coaches, or local bus to train station and train to Stockholm.

Västerås is about the same distance but they’re only open for IFR when RYR or some other airline is operating, and by appointment.
Local bus to train station and train to Stockholm.

With regards to the landing card Martin mentioned it really doesn’t help much. In fact, since many years most airports are not part of the system, and definately not the IFR airports around Stockholm. Expect to pay 30-40EUR per landing and perhaps the same for parking overnight in some locations.
We also have a lot of smaller grass airfields suitable for light plane touring, but not exactly a business solution.

If you plane on heading over to Skavsta (ESKN) drop me a line, it’s my homebase and I may be able to help with hangar space for short visits. Also, if you’re interested in grass fields, ESSZ is a friendly place, but still an hour from Stockholm.

Last Edited by Krister_L at 08 Jan 14:06
ESSB, Stockholm Bromma

I don’t know how many capitals are easily/cheaply GA-accessible now.

London isn’t. The only usable place is Biggin EGKB (just paid £31, 1400kg). The others have no IFR capability. But even Biggin is 1hr from east London (the bit near Biggin) never mind “proper London” I think Lyneham is usable (one could call one of the handlers to check) but the cost is well into 3 digits.

Paris isn’t. Pontoise is a long bit of travel – 2hrs each way IME.And both Pontoise and Toussus have lost Customs. There is still Le Bourget but again well into 3 figures.

Prague is OK if Vodochody is open (seems to close randomly, no notam) otherwise you have Letnany (no IFR and grass).

Maybe this is a reflection of the lack of use of light GA for business travel nowadays. But one would think these population centres would have loads of GA pilots. London certainly has but they seem happy to drive 1-2hrs to fly.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Surprisingly, Brussels is well served: its own airport EBBR has a busy G/A terminal though I understand landing tax plus mandatory handling add up to some 400 euro’s at least. On top of that there are EBAW and EBCI, only some 25 NM away either side. All three have ILS, customs, AvGas and JetA1.

Or is this perhaps an indication that Brussels is not the big capital it would like to be?

Last Edited by at 08 Jan 17:53
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Yes, but all these things can’t make up for it if the capital (and pretty much the centre of everything) of a country like Sweden cannot be reasonably reached by GA, neither VFR nor IFR and does not provide a home for the local GA pilots.

Quite right. But for many of us living outside the capital it’s still a working GA environment, or perhaps I’m just lucky in the south

With regards to the landing card Martin mentioned it really doesn’t help much. In fact, since many years most airports are not part of the system, and definately not the IFR airports around Stockholm. Expect to pay 30-40EUR per landing and perhaps the same for parking overnight in some locations.

I guess you have a point, there are many IFR airports who has left the system, often when they have changed ownership from Swedavia to the local municipality. For private GA (the typical SEP), most smaller airports are still without charge fortunately.

Last Edited by martin-esmi at 08 Jan 16:27

I don’t know how many capitals are easily/cheaply GA-accessible now.

Just quickly off the top of my head:

Milan: Bresso
Rome: Urbe
Barcelona: Sabadell
Madrid: Quatro Vientos
Lisbon: Cascais
Vienna: Vienna Schwechat or Bad Vöslau
London: Denham (20 mins or so by train to Marylebone)
London: Southend – 50 mins by train to Liverpool St.
Zurich: AFAIK you can still go into ZRH (I know they are trying to get rid of the based light GA)

Of course, some of these don’t have an ILS, so if IFR, you’ll have to let down somehow and continue VFR, if poss.

I’ve also flown to Prag airport without problems. Seems to be more expensive now, but I don’t know.
From Germany to Paris Toussous should be good, as far as I know Flightplan is enough

Again, what has happened at Bromma? Is it only that Avgas isn’t served anymore or is the landing fee exorbitant high or will landing with MTOW < 2t be rejected?

EDXQ

Bromma has decided that the lower end of GA is not in its interest to serve anymore. Therefore, the majority of the Piston powered GA has been thrown out. There are a very few exceptions where they have not been able to enforce a move due to contract issues. The flying clubs have been kicked out and most private owners as well. This was easily accomplished by tearing down, or threatening to tear down, the hangars unless people moved out freely.
They have stopped all sales of Avgas but there are some private individuals who have access to a tank for a while, but that will end too no doubt.

As far as I know the landing charge is the same as before (250 SEK +VAT), but when you park you will be directed to Grafair Jet Center, or in some rare cases the northern parking. The charge for driving you to and from the aircraft is 300 or 400 SEK, each way. And there’s no fuel.

So, while it is possible, it isn’t exactly accommodating. I can understand that an airport like Arlanda (or likewise Vantaa in Helsinki) has restrictions on slow traffic and general aviation of piston types, but Bromma is not Arlanda. In Helsinki there is still Malmi airport close to the city and very convenient for private operations with business jets as well.

This is government at its finest.

ESSB, Stockholm Bromma
Sign in to add your message