Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Learn German

One difficulty about “another language” is that it usually comes with “other traditions”. The first time I heard “Delta 1 2 3 4 POSITION ! ! !” I was rather bewildered… That was at a mixed glider-ultralight field, as there are quite a few in Germany.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

That was at a mixed glider-ultralight field…

Standard phraseology and this kind of airfield don’t go together well, not even in Germany

EDDS - Stuttgart

Thank you, achimha, for the PDF file, that is exactly what I was looking for.

I am learning German and I will be able to learn any aviation vocabulary at the same time, so as soon as I get the opportunity to go to Germany, I will be able to speak German even before I land.

LFOZ Orleans, France, France

Just a little aside… and we did discuss this here before… IMHO there is little point in learning just aviation phrases, because that will break the instant somebody says something which is nonstandard. And nonstandard terminology is widespread in the cases where the locals speak their local language – that’s one big reason why they use their local language

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Nobody really reports Crosswind (Querabflug), at least I have never heard it in 20 years, so there is no problem.

Which is why I wrote:-

But the most likely call is Queranflug so check there first

I have heard it. Not often, I admit, but when the traffic pattern has a lot of circuit bashers, and someone new is joining, I have heard it in the information provided to the joining aircraft.

My opinion is that it is important to point out to the OP, as a safety issue, he like myself is a non-native speaker, who will start to fly in an environment alien to most PPLs… An unfamiliar language on the radio and have to use this as a source of information.

I, personally, am still not convinced that the VFR Downwind join and often fixed and inflexible traffic patterns, loved in Germany, are the safest way to do it; and unless you are vigilant you can end up either catching a slower type on base leg or having a faster type behind you on cross wind leg.

Last Edited by italianjon at 13 Jul 05:34
EDHS, Germany

italianjon wrote:

still not convinced that the VFR Downwind join and often fixed and inflexible traffic patterns, loved in Germany, are the safest way to do it

It’s not about safety, it’s about keeping the inhabitants of the area from closing the airfield. Noise abatement is the main thing these days. In addition you have the AFIS guy who knows what’s happening in the circus — whether you want him or not

Last Edited by achimha at 13 Jul 06:31

I am not only learning the German phrases in order to try to speak on the radio. I am learning German, but as an extra motivation, in addition to learning the standard tourist sentences as a start, I believe it will help me get into it if I learn the words and sentences used in my favorite hobby : flying.

Regarding the standard circuit, I try to be as direct as possible, and in France at least, when I am sure that nobody else is in the way, I do my best to do a direct into base leg or final, unless I need to go downwind because the runway in use is opposite my route.

LFOZ Orleans, France, France

I agree Achim. NIMBY-ism is a very effective, especially around the more beautiful airfields.

Given that it isn’t the safest way to do it, we as responsible pilots, should make it safe by using all information available to us, and ensure we are aware of potential risks of misunderstanding. That’s all I am trying to say

EDHS, Germany

Interesting Question.
I have more or less the same issue.

I speak German reasonably well, and learning quickly due to its familiarity, having lived very close to the german border for 25 years.
But Aviation german is different. I am a Flight Instructor, and able to teach in both English and Dutch, but would love to learn to do it in German as well.

Any recomendation for german PPL, CPL or ATPL theory book?
I know the theory, just need the German terminology.

Btw, Thank you for the Nachrichten fur Luftfahrer. really helpfull

Treeclipper
LEHC - EDDL
19 Posts
Sign in to add your message