Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Leatherman (airport security)

Yes, but Stuttgart is a very special case here…

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Flyer59 wrote:

but have you tried arguing with Greek or Italian security personel?

No and by the experience shared here I don’t want to make that myself :-)

It is, however, a bit silly since I can carry a complete arsenal of axes and gallons highly flammable liquids in my plane perfectly legal.

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

But from the security personell’s point of view it is not silly. What is already in your aircraft he has no control over, and can’t be faulted for that. But he can be faulted for whatever he let you take on board.

The said truth is that these people (on minimum wage) get audited ever so often by “mysery travellers” who play all kinds of dirty tricks. One major oversight by him and he loses his job, his house, his existence…

Last Edited by boscomantico at 28 Jul 18:48

Yes, at one point i understood that, bosco. In Poznan EPPO the security checks were crazy. Then, the second day, i learned that the people working at the GA gate are observed with video cameras …

@boscomantico I don’t blame the staff, I blame senseless rules. Of course you have to draw a line somewhere and I’d be careful letting that guy with the two Kalashnikows and no license onto the airfield, but when it’s clear that you have an aircraft parked airside there should be different rules that are communicated to the staff.

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

No doubt.

mh wrote:

I have a normal swiss army knife and have been told everytime “as a pilot you’re entitled to carry these devices”.

Flyer59 wrote:

but have you tried arguing with Greek or Italian security personel?

Have you tried to argue with German security personnel?

10 y ago or so I was stopped by security at the Frankfurt airport for a miniature Leatherman set on my keyring. When I started asking the security guard whether there was a post office or anything I could use to mail it to my home address, two policemen with MP5 automatic rifles approached me and made sure I did not go ballistic. Then I mailed it to my home address and that was the end of story.

Even further back than that I was denied access to a Delta flight because I had a fuel sampler with one of those rigid metal rods.

I believe they have since relaxed the rules somewhat.

LFPT, LFPN

Has anybody ever tried to bring in this special leatherman tool?
Would be interessting to see what happens.

Last Edited by eddsPeter at 28 Jul 20:54
EDDS , Germany

@Aviathor
I will not say that there’s no idiots on German Airports – but it’s really very few, and it cannot be compared with the stuff you will through if you fly to Italy or Greece often. I started to take that stuff easy when I realized I cannot change it, and now I am always having a good time.

@eddsPeter
I think there’s no law that could prevent you from taking that one on board. Actually the law says that knives with blades up to six centimeters are okay, and most airports really respect that now. But in some countries I would not bet on it …

Sign in to add your message