Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

LGIO RNP Z 32 - vertical profile, and how can avionics fly this?

To me this chart doesn’t appear to be quite clear

Initially fly to YNN, at/above the sector MSA as usual.
Enroute to IO711, descend 9000ft.
Enroute to IO712, descend 8500ft.
Enroute to AMIVI, descend 7600ft.
Enroute to IO713, descend 6300ft.
Enroute to IO714, descend 5200ft.
Enroute to IO716, descend 4200ft.
Enroute to IO717, descend 3200ft.
and down you go as per the VS/GS chart, to the MDA.

What puzzled me were the “SMA” numbers.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

What puzzled me were the “SMA” numbers

My read: This is an RNP – therefore a non precision approach. The overflight-altitudes of the Waypoints are recommendations to create a smooth descent, but not mandatory.

The SMAs, however, are hard limits. Therefore between e.g. AMIVI and IO713 you could descent down to 5300 (and not lower) but in a smooth descent it it advised not to go lower than 6300ft.

Germany

What does SMA stand for?

France

Malibuflyer wrote:

This is an RNP – therefore a non precision approach.

RNP approaches are Cat I precision approaches if they have an LPV200 minimum. Not this particular approach, of course.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

gallois wrote:

What does SMA stand for?

“Segment Minimum Altitude”.

I’ve never seen this before so I had to look it up in the abbreviations section of the Jepp Airway Manual. I wonder if this is a term invented by Jeppesen or if it is ICAO?

Airborne_Again wrote:

RNP approaches are Cat I precision approaches if they have an LPV200 minimum

I always get confused with the current naming conventions. I Thought that if Jeppesen calls it “RNP” and not “LPV” it is non precision in any case – but you are obviously right.

Last Edited by Malibuflyer at 21 Sep 10:17
Germany

Malibuflyer wrote:

I always get confused with the current naming conventions.

I agree. But it seems that for the last few years or so, the naming conventions have stabilised.

My current understanding is that there are two distinct divisions of approaches:

1) Approach design types: Precision (PA)/Approaches with vertical guidance (APV)/Non-precision (NPA). PA are ILS and RNP with LPV200 minima. APV are other approaches with a glidepath such as LPV and LNAV/VNAV. The rest are NPA.

2) Approach operation types: 2D/3D type A/3D type B. 2D means that the approach is flown without vertical guidance. 3D means that the approach is flown with vertical guidance. Type A has a DH of 250’ or more. Type B has a DH of less than 250’.

What is not clear to me is how NPA’s flown as CDFA are treated. PANS-OPS states that if the approach is flown with an FMS-generated glidepath (e.g. Garmin LNAV+V) then it is considered a 3D approach and a DA should be used. If the approach is flown using a manually determine rate of descent and check altitudes, then it is considered a 2D approach and a MDA(H) should be used. On the other hand all other documents I’ve seen about CDFA (including part-NCO) states that a DA should be used even with a manually determined glidepath.

Maybe this helps? (sorry it’s in French but the graph just make sense)

https://www.ecologie.gouv.fr/sites/default/files/Guide_operations_2D_3D.pdf

Airborne_Again wrote:

What is not clear to me is how NPA’s flown as CDFA are treated. PANS-OPS states that if the approach is flown with an FMS-generated glidepath (e.g. Garmin LNAV+V) then it is considered a 3D approach and a DA should be used

I have been told that RNP LNAV flown in in CDFA following LNAV+V does not tick the 3D requirement for IR exams, it has to be LPV or ILS, but hey even senior examiners are confused on precision/non-precision vs 2D/3D…

Last Edited by Ibra at 21 Sep 11:28
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Like AA I was always understood that a CDFA ends in a DA/DH.
I posted a long while ago that a precision approach is an approach which ends with a DH of 200ft or less. It would be true to say that this would normally be a 3D approach.
Anything above a DH of 200ft would therefore be an NPA.
This is where you get to if you cross reference all the regulations. But it still does not answer the question of why a CDFA, which would normally follow on from a NPA ends in a DA/DH. I can’t find the cross references for that.That graphic doesn’t really answer the question.

France

gallois wrote:

I posted a long while ago that a precision approach is an approach which ends with a DH of 200ft or less. It would be true to say that this would normally be a 3D approach.

It would always be a 3D approach as all of the 2D-only approaches have system minima of 250’ or more.

(And a particular precision approach can have a minima higher than 200’, but the system minima would be 200 or less.)

42 Posts
Sign in to add your message