Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

LIRA Ciampino - Warning

Good luck. There is no blanket exemption for airport fees in case of diversion landings in Italy. Not even for emergencies. GEN4.1 refers.

And for handling charges, even less so. These are private companies and there fees are not state-regulated.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Landing at a “major” airport with a Meridian one would expect these kind of fees… of course, one of the problems in Italy is to be able to differentiate between those, and lesser/cheaper airports. I guess the OP would have been faced with the same charges at FCO, LIN, etc.

And a good reason to stick to using Aviosuperficie for anyone having an aircraft with adequate performance. There are quite a few of them just on the outskirts of the Roma CTR.

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Dan, how do you interpret „Major Airport“
I have been to many of those airports in Europe and other parts of the world.
To stay within Europe and to name only a few of them

Hannover, Hamburg, Osnabrück, Erfurt, Dresden, Nürnberg
Palermo, Olbia, Treviso, Milano
Vienna, Linz, Salzburg, Graz
Dubrovnik, Pula, Tivat, Warschau,
Antwerpen, Biggin Hill, Roskilde, Oslo, Athen

All of them is a fraction of the costs compared to LIRA
Most of them operate under the same EASA rules.

What do you expect for a single engine plane with 2300kg gross weight?

I would like to see a „bad airport database“, filled by GA Pilots to dry out airports and handler far out of the Point of view of price and performance.

EDMA, Germany

So, do I get that right: Airport A didn’t allow you to land for a reason that wasn’t applicable to you in the first place, so you were forced to land at Airport B, where you got fleeced by a scummy handler. Surely not worth the hassle, but I think a case could be made to ask the money back from Airport A.

Of course that is just a feeling on what’s right, surely anyone competent in legalese can disintegrate that without trying hard, especially in italy.

Fjkuth wrote:
I would like to see a „bad airport database“, filled by GA Pilots to dry out airports and handler far out of the Point of view of price and performance.

Love that idea. Just imagine when you enter your destination in skydemon and you get a warning. On the other hand, if one isn’t diverting to the safest but to the cheapest destination, that’s also an issue right there.

Berlin, Germany

Dan, how do you interpret „Major Airport“

Yep, I was thinking “in Italy”, so to rephrase: Major Airport in Italy. Such as MXP, FCO or even TRN. Not sure how much that would be for the SET in question, but probably close, or more.
Major Airport in Spain would probably also fill the bill, so to speak

Dan
LSZF, Switzerland

filled by GA Pilots to dry out airports and handler far out of the Point of view of price and performance.

Would probably achieve next to nothing in cases such as this one… these hi fees serve as a deterrent to GA. They don’t want you, they don’t want me. They don’t need you, they don’t need me. State supported institutions don’t have to worry.

Dan
LSZF, Switzerland

Well, Fiumicino has no GA. But the other big ones, Malpensa, Linate, Florence, Venice, Turin, and many more are all infested by the major handling chains and yes, at most of these, a landing and a coupe of nights of parking will set you back about 500 Euros in a Meridian these days.

So yes, the right aircraft is one which can safely operate from 500-600 metres of grass. But the most important thing is that the PILOT also be capable of doing this.

Boscomantico,

It was 18h and not a couple of days!
Ciampino is not a main capital airport.
It’s like Biggin Hill for London or Schönhagen for Berlin

The right aircraft must fit your missions.

To land on a grass or gravel strip does not depend on the pilots skill!
It’s more a question of wisdom to do this in a turbine like a TBM or Meridian?
Plane and pilot are capable, but maybe not the wallet..

EDMA, Germany

Well, Fiumicino has no GA. But the other big ones, Malpensa, Linate, Florence, Venice, Turin, and many more are all infested by the major handling chains and yes, at most of these, a landing and a coupe of nights of parking will set you back about 500 Euros in a Meridian these days.

According to actual prices this doesn’t apply to Turin or fees on Bergamo.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Ciampino is not a main capital airport.
It’s like Biggin Hill for London or Schönhagen for Berlin

No further comment.

Sign in to add your message