Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

LJPZ Portoroz new RNP approach - no valid routing to STAR

Dear fellow pilots,
I have a problem with finding a valid IFR routing between LOAV (Bad Vöslau, Austria) and LJPZ (Portoroz, Slovenia).

I have flown this route several times before with a fairly simple, Eurocontrol approved routing using the old ILB2P STAR for the VOR 15 approach:

MOVOS/N0155A080 IFR RADLY ARLON ILB ILB2P
Easy.

Here comes the problem: LJPZ has a new RNP approach since a few weeks (RNP Rwy 15) with a new STAR for the RNP (FORJO 1A RNP ARR).
I keep trying to find a valid routing which brings me to the start of the RNP ARR route (FORJO point)
The FRA index chart shows ILB as Arrival connecting point. This works with the old STAR.
But when I try to file ILB DCT FORJO FORJO1A it gets rejected. I‘ve tried several other points too, but couldn‘t find any valid routing, which brings me to FORJO.

I could obviously file the old plan and ask for the RNP enroute, but I would like to learn how I can file a valid routing for the RNP arrival.

any ideas? appreciate your help!

Austria

I wouldn‘t bother which arrival is in my flightplan. STARs are hardly ever flown in practice. And as you say, once in radio contact with Portorot Approach, just request the RNP approach.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

The approaches (RNP or ILS) are never included in an IFR flight plan, well you don’t know the runway in-use as you need the wind as you come to land however, you know your inbound sector, so only the sector arrival (sector STAR or sector IAF or better direct AD) are included in your flight plan

Sometimes 3×IAF of RNP are not connected to ATS routes and only DCT to airport or CONV STAR are allowed in the filed flight plan

You just take ATIS and request RNP on first contact (in busy places, some Radar ATC will approve it but they may vector to RNP final while the previous guy is on ILS to same runway)

Last Edited by Ibra at 28 Mar 20:38
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Just file MOVOS IFR RADLY ARLON ILB ILB2P and fly it. When you get there, ask for any approach – you can check with Ljubljana radar in advance what’s available.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Thanks for your help guys!
Appreciate that!
Wolfgang

Austria

I’d only like to add that commercial operations would use the longest possible SID and STAR for fuel planning purposes and this gets filed. Which of them (if any) you will actually fly is decided before takeoff for the SID and en-route for the STAR.

LPFR, Poland
6 Posts
Sign in to add your message