Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Electronic ignition - huge benefits claimed

What does a Rotax 912iS vs 912ULS case say?

I thought the consensus is that there is a significant (although perhaps not as much as initially claimed) efficiency gain.

There were teething problems (exhaust?, … ) but afaik not high incidence of outright failures.
The 912iS seem to be popular in new installs…

Slovakia

On the 2 h trip to Burgos at 8000’ I averaged 19.6 mpg out and 21.4 mpg back (US gal), difference due to wind. Previously I was seeing about 18-19 mpg so I have a modest gain in efficiency with the CPI electronic ignition instead of right magneto..
Simon

I believe there are aircraft flying with dual LeBurg ignitions. Certainly the website will sell you two at once.

Certified ones? What sort of engine?

I asked about the SR22 because that’s a “big engine” which is the most useful data point for the biggest fuel burners – IO550 and IO540. Surprisingly none of the numerous SR22 owners here has mentioned it. What system was used on the SR22?

What is your engine, @simon32? IO320/IO360?

Electroair are still telling people “soon” at every exhibition in the USA, regarding the version for the D3000 single shaft dual mag. I don’t get this, because just the TB fleet is a market for about 2000 (not the TB9, IIRC).

The fairly basic thing is that anybody who can switch it in or out, and has an accurate fuel flowmeter, can immediately see a difference, if there is one.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

O-320 D2A 160 hp. I think efficiency would be better with electronic fuel injection. SDS do EI and EFI, but I didn’t want the added complexity of fuel return lines and high pressure pump. It is a bit difficult to make claims about fuel efficiency as you can always increase mpg by going slower, but I tried to compare like with like, namely setting power to my “natural” IAS. The Vans forum has some data on the IO540.
Simon

Peter wrote:

last KITPLANES magazine one of the racing Lancair builders is reporting several failures of electronic ignition systems, and zero of magnetos.

By ‘failures’ I assume you mean engine stoppage as a result?

I don’t think extra info was supplied.

There are two sets of spark plugs so the engine should not stop, unless the fault is caused by a common factor.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

What have been advertised too, in favour of electronic ignition, is that it (would) prevent(s) arching inside the magneto/distributor, at high altitudes.
It would manifest as a “high altitude miss in the engine”

I don’t know what you think about this risk, and what is called “high altitude” ?

Are all turbocharged SEP equipped with pressurized magneto ?
For exeample, @Peter, when performing high altitude flights, have you ever considered this possibility ?

PetitCessnaVoyageur wrote:

Are all turbocharged SEP equipped with pressurized magneto ?

Only few are, those magnetos have their own problems (moisture inside). The other solution to the problem is to have a very big magneto, like the D3000 in a C182 Lycoming installation.

Last Edited by achimha at 09 Aug 15:21

achimha wrote:

The other solution to the problem is to have a very big magneto

So, yours is not pressurized and you can fly it at FL 200 +, without fearing “arching” ?
What is a “big” magneto ?

Sign in to add your message