Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Electronic ignition - huge benefits claimed

I could not find anything about “all new and factory rebuilt engines” shipping with this, which is why I asked.

And I guess nobody else could find it either, or there is a total lack of interest due to CV19 having affected everybody’s brain

If Lyco were shipping every engine with this, it would raise “interesting” certification issues unless the engine had exactly the same P/N as before, and then you need to issue a new engine IPC, overhaul manual, etc.

Looking at the Surefly website I find nothing about this; only that it can be fitted, subject to the applicability list, etc.

The installation instructions refer to it needing an MP input and a power input (from the battery, typically). I can’t find a reference to it needing an engine monitor.

If your alternator fails and the battery runs down, the engine continues to run on the 2nd (original) magneto.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

I can’t find a reference to it needing an engine monitor.
From Aviation Consumer:
“If variable timing is desired, the STC requires that the aircraft have a method of monitoring CHT – to us that means an engine monitor. "
Presumably the ignition will then revert to fixed timing if the CHT signal is lost.
huv
EKRK, Denmark

I think that just means a CHT gauge, or better.

If the mag required data from an engine monitor, that would be much more complicated. Which engine monitor products output anything constantly, in a digital or analog form? Probably none.

I think this is a bit like the route used to get the [in]famous EASA STC for installing two GNS boxes, which required a separate radio, or something like that, in a bizzare mental justification exercise, to satisfy some anally retarded certification chap who claimed that if one of the boxes failed, it could pull down the other and then you lose both radios too.

Would you have the full text of that piece?

Maybe there are different mag variants involved, or maybe it is just a CHT probe which feeds straight into the mag.

EDIT:

Searching the IM, I see this

which suggests there are two modes the installer can choose, and the variable timing mode requires CHT measurement. What is of possible concern is the “s” at the end of “temperatures” which would suggest an engine monitor Has any certification agency issued an interpretation on this? It’s no use us reading between the lines…

And yes this is clearly there because they could not demonstrate that some failure mode of the magneto would not increase CHTs excessively.

Doing some googling, one finds an article on FB by Electroair, predictably bad-mouthing Surefly:

Then this: The published advance map for the Surefly is very aggressive, and there is no provision for dual maps (i.e. one for ROP, one for LOP), so the result isn’t optimum for either condition. At 2500 RPM, for example, the advance ramps up from base timing to 33-34 degrees across a spread of only 3.5"Hg. It means that best power climb from about 4500 upwards will probably include rapidly increasing CHT; too much advance for best power mixture. Not the best choice if your ops plan usually includes bulleting up to 11.5K, fine if your typical profile is a quick climb to 4500 for LOP cruise.

There is a lot of stuff out there about this, and none of it is clear. I think it is the usual thing where one website copies another one… it looks like this Q has never been defined.

A search here on Surefly digs out other threads – example – but no clarification.

Normally, with regulatory (i.e. criminal law) matters, you are supposed to read the regs exactly as written. If no “multicylinder” monitor is called for, then you do not need one.

Administrator

All interesting stuff.

For the engine monitor “requirement”, I am just quoting Aviation Consumer – they explicitly interpret the CHT requirement as a need for an engine monitor. I guess because the old-fashioned, usually single-cylinder analog CHT’s cannot provide any input for the electronic box. I think that makes sense.

Another thing I am interested to know, is whether hand-propping is possible on electronic ignition. I had a stuck starter relay on a Electroair equipped PA-28 some weeks ago, and while I have successfully hand-propped PA-28s many times, this one was completely dead. Obviously the replaced mag was the one with the impulse-coupling, but shouldn’t the electronic ignition fire at the swing of a blade?

huv
EKRK, Denmark

I have not seen any reference to an “input”. The only inputs to the mag are the MP, a pickup from an ignition lead, and a power wire.

I think the CHT requirement is just for pilot monitoring, and detecting a fault condition.

Administrator

I have checked the STC and installation manual and I now think you are absolutely right.

huv
EKRK, Denmark

Surefly have been limited to fixed timing installations for the moment, and turbo engines are still pending, so in theory you cannot have variable timing.

@huv yes you should be able to hand prop an Electroair engine, it should start quite well.

Lycoming will not ship with SureFly but with their own unit, launching with CubCrafters, Textron (Cessna) & P2010 (optional) all shipping with IO-390-D3B6. So presumably you don’t need to bother about taking it off (except of course if it does not work).

T28
Switzerland

T28 wrote:

Surefly have been limited to fixed timing installations for the moment,

Hm, the STC, the installation manuals, acft type list and the Aviation Consumer review all seem to state or imply that variable timing is available for most of the engines, on certain conditions.

huv
EKRK, Denmark

I don’t have the AML by me but July’s revision H of the application guide still shows most models as “installation restricted to fixed timing only”. It is available but as of now (or at least July) not approved (meaning all turbo models and some NA models get fixed timing) – sorry if it wasn’t clear from the get-go. Reason for the turbos being that loss of MP information leads to advance based on ambient pressure which could or could not lead to detonation.

Last Edited by T28 at 22 Aug 16:53
T28
Switzerland

Rev H Surefly application guide

You have to read it carefully, checking which engines have Footnote #4

The case for an electronic magneto which doesn’t have variable timing is pretty thin, especially given the proven track record of electronics designers in the GA sphere Reading between the lines of the matrix of limitations, there is some funny stuff going on – with all the products in that sector.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message