Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Reasons for needing to replace "aging" avionics with newer

Isn’t it all down to cost? For the few occasions when an airport can’t offer a GPS approach because the satilites are down will that loss of income justify the huge costs of keeping ILS equipment serviceable?

Out of interest Timothy are Bournemouth keeping their NDB approaches? They must be much cheaper to keep as an alternative to GPS.

I think there are some real parallels in the technology industry.

You have the innovators selling propretary solutions, Microsoft, Google, apple, etc each of which would happily own everything if they could. And common internet standards, many of which are archiac, but perfectly serviceable.

SMTP, (mail protocol) is like the NDB of the internet, many other similar examples. Many of these standards have held things back, at least until a solution that allows everyone else to come along has been found.

Ted
United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

I can’t see ILS ever losing its importance

Ever is a long time. But then again, maybe pilots will become obsolete before the ILS does. After all, I hear that Airbus is playing with two new technologies: electric-powered and pilotless aircraft.

LSZK, Switzerland

I think ILS will disappear over the next 10 years or so at airports which

• have no airline traffic and are never likely to have any
  • have no based FTO
  • have no strategic / national security angles (e.g. Cherbourg and the nuclear facility, or Le Touquet and Mr Macron having a house there)

For airline traffic, much longer. CAT3 is not even in sight. Also ILS is much more robust than LPV because LPV is trivially easy to jam. Think of the recent Gatwick drone crisis and multiply it 100×. And there is no defence… I am sure this point has not been lost on anyone running major airports.

For FTO usage, that depends on whether those in charge judge LPV to be adequate for airline pilot training. I am not sure if LPV (instead of ILS) meets the current IR test requirement.

For the strategic stuff, you could be looking at a very long time because many State / military aircraft cannot be realistically upgraded.

Incidentally I think many airports funded by local chambers of commerce (often the case in France) without many questions asked will find their funding cut, as the bean counters wake up.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Extended Squitter
Not worth doing

ADS-B
Not necessary but worth doing in the context of another job

True today, but the future is uncertain. With Aireon going on-line, there is talk in Canada about TC/Nav Canada making ADS-B mandatory so they can phase out radar. It is generating a lot of discussion due to an open question (need for diversity?? which would make it a no-go for GA) and possible benefits even for GA (eliminate ELT requirement).

Aireon Services and Partners

Futures using Aireon

LSZK, Switzerland

Timothy wrote:

How many of us are satisfied with the same car for 20 years? Some, for sure. I know plenty of people who have kept the same boring, family car forever.

That’s an interesting point. I’ll gladly drive my 15-year-old Saab another 10 years, if the price of a new replacement is thereby available for new technology improvements to my 40-year old Cessna aircraft.

LSZK, Switzerland

chflyer wrote:

True today, but the future is uncertain. With Aireon going on-line, there is talk in Canada about TC/Nav Canada making ADS-B mandatory so they can phase out radar. It is generating a lot of discussion due to an open question (need for diversity?? which would make it a no-go for GA) and possible benefits even for GA (eliminate ELT requirement).

Well… Swedish ATC phased out all primary radar some decades back. Eventually they found out that having primary radar was maybe not such a bad idea so they are putting it back in areas with the most traffic.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

True. In Europe 28 sizes fits all.

LSZK, Switzerland

You need primary radar for all sorts of reasons, starting with national security.

In theory, a “neutral” country, in an age where other peoples’ nukes prevent WW3 from starting, doesn’t need to worry, but we now have terrorism, and it isn’t going to go away.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

chflyer wrote:

I’ll gladly drive my 15-year-old Saab another 10 years

Good for you. But you must also know people who like new cars just because they like them?

EGKB Biggin Hill
Sign in to add your message