Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What engine paperwork would have come with new Piper in 2001?

Out and about today looking at 2001 Piper. The original logs from new to 350hrs were lost, long story as always. Owners have photocopies of some select paperwork up to 350hrs and have an export c of a from around that time from when it came off the N reg. Logs from 350hrs to present are ok.

I want to find out what paperwork would have come with a new Piper aeroplane from Lycoming? I would have thought it was an Export C of A and an 8130. The only paperwork for this engine I can see is a photocopy of a form 777-B?

By way of reference, I have TCM IO-520 paperwork here that came rebuilt from the USA at the same time. It came with an Export C of A, Engine Component Information Sheet, Engine Test Verification and a Production Certificate signed by TCM. I know TCM is a different company but it pointed me in the right direction. Obviously, in the case of the above, I can get the FAA records and perhaps some info from Piper?

Last Edited by WilliamF at 20 May 17:25
Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

If the aircraft was new he engine should have had an export C of A ( sorry can’t remember the FAA form number ) this in the UK should be attached to the front pages of the log book.

Thanks @A_and_C

I can see the angle the seller is pushing. They have an export c of a from about 350hrs TT and are saying that is the release basis for the engine. I’ve bought things, some my mistake, that have had incomplete history on the engine. When you bring them to another facility to get an ARC issued then the fun starts.

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

Export CofA is an 8130-4.

The bigger problem is that if somebody claims to not have really essential records such as this, they better have a really good story. Sometimes (quite often) records disappear when a maintenance company goes bust, or they “disappear accidentally” when a customer of a maintenance company leaves them on bad terms. It is common for logbooks etc to be held by the maintenance company until a dispute is resolved, but the dispute may never be resolved. I know of one such situation running right now. But these situations can be disclosed to the seller. Logbooks don’t just “get lost”.

It is true that there are some people who live their life while not engaging with reality but you don’t want to buy a plane from one of them

In my propeller logbook I have the 8130-4 for the propeller. It was supplied from Hartzell via Socata Tarbes following a prop strike in 2002. But I don’t recall ever seeing an 8130-4 for the engine. Just logbook entries at Tarbes documenting the engine installation, etc.

In those old days, the CAA required an Export CofA (8130-4) to cover an engine or a prop for installation on a G-reg. An 8130-3 was insufficient. An alternative was to pass the part through a company which could issue a JAR-1 form. I have some old notes here.

What I don’t have data for is what a new US-built plane would have come with. My view is that you would not get an 8130-4 or even an 8130-3 since these would naturally be retained by the factory (Piper). For example if you buy a Piper with (say) a factory installed G500, you don’t get a wad of 8130-3 forms for the avionics. All those forms are retained by the factory. I believe this is done partly to prevent somebody selling the G500 as “new” and supply an 8130-3 with it. But if you retrofit a G500 then the avionics shop absolutely should give you the 8130-3 (or EASA-1) forms in the work pack.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
4 Posts
Sign in to add your message