Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

IC-A16E radio - does bluetooth work with a bluetooth headset

Looking for user feedback if the BT version works with a bluetooth capable headset e.g, DC one X? I don’t have a ground switch to power up one radio for picking up my start up hence IFR clearance. Maybe this is a pragmatic solution? I assume the PTT is still on the handheld radio?

EBST

I hadn’t noticed the newer IC radios had Bluetooth. Nice.

Looking at the specs and manual, it seems it would work, but I don’t know for sure.

I used an IC-A24, and now a Yaesu 750 for start-up clearance, talking to handling when the engine is off, etc. I just talk in the microphone that is in the unit, and use its loudspeaker. Although I have the (wire) adapter to connect a headset, I don’t bother with it connecting it. I must say that it usually works. Except at my homebase, where I never get any answer from the tower with the portables :)

ELLX

Bluetooth “should just work” but this principle applies only on Mondays and Wednesdays

A headset cable for an Icom is easy enough to buy or make. It gets tricky if your headset is aircraft powered; then the adaptor box needs to contain a battery. I built one such for a Bose X and the Icom A20 (?).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

IMHO, when connecting an aircraft-powered headset by cable to a portable radio, you can just live without the ANR (which is the only thing that needs battery…) when using the portable. Incidentally, the LEMO aircraft-powered Bose A20 has a battery box… Useful for using it with the “GA plug” adapter in an aircraft that doesn’t have a LEMO connector.

ELLX
4 Posts
Sign in to add your message