Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Positive In-Field Report for DAR Services in Europe

In recent weeks I have been preparing two aircraft for DAR services.

• Cessna U206F to go get an Airworthiness Certificate issued to operate on the N Reg
  • PC12NG for an Export Certificate of Airworthiness to go onto the G Reg

Because I move in these circles, I’ve heard all the stories and know what can go wrong. There are some serious horror stories that you could not publish here. Consider a DAR coming out, and a letter of denial being on file with the FAA if there is an issue. What DAR is going to come, and rebut his colleague to fix your mess? This is a one-shot deal and you need to get it right first time. Hence preparation ahead of the DAR survey is vital. It has been 7 years since I had used a DAR and both guys I have used before are no longer designees. My IA was equally keen to see how we would get on.

The short summary is there is no reason not to go ahead with your planned import or transfer to the N-reg now that Mike Bonventre is available to offer service to European GA.

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/field_offices/ifo/media/International_DARTs.pdf local copy

Mike has a world of commercial and military experience, but also he is an aircraft owner and a pilot. We could chat at length about oil analysis, rigging, engine break-in procedures, night flying and avionics just like you would chat about here with esteemed pilots. Mike was looking to trade up to a bigger Piper single and could chat all day about the different model PA32’s. The basics of getting an aircraft transferred on the N-reg are well covered already by Peter here:

http://www.peter2000.co.uk/aviation/faa-nreg/index.html

I can go over my checklist with anyone here on a PM or WhatsApp conversation. Similarly, Mike is happy to share his checklist with you if you are a serious customer. We had everything scanned and emailed in advance of his visit, and ordered to a checklist. Fee’s are roughly €5k per aircraft including travel, FAA filing, hotels, ground transport. I had considered using the 2-Reg for the 2-osix but I am very pleased to be able to plan a flight this weekend in N206UF instead!

Last Edited by WilliamF at 08 Jan 22:30
Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

This is a very useful report, William.

DARs are very hard to find, especially ones that somebody can work with

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

WilliamF wrote:

plan a flight this weekend in N206UF instead!

Do you mean N206UF has been upgraded from project to airplane? Well done and congrats! Let us know how it goes!

Last Edited by Antonio at 09 Jan 21:35
Antonio
LESB, Spain

Thanks Antonio,
Yes today I was moving in all my stuff, making a dipstick, charging the battery, lubricating once more…

I can put on my AK bush mod on the nose oleo now. Split an induction rubber and two jubilee clips. In case we find a soft spot or damage an oleo seal 😁

The DAR pointed out the difference between a -

1) Test Flight
2) Check Flight
3) Confidence Flight

The check flight will be one hour at 75% power and check everything out overhead. Maybe Sunday will be the day.

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

Antonio wrote:

Let us know how it goes!

All good. Box ticked. 2 hours in the air yesterday. It’s awesome, rigged to perfection. You could fall asleep in the aeroplane and it would still fly straight and level.

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland
5 Posts
Sign in to add your message