Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Best "box" to receive uncertified (SIL=0 or SIL=1) ADS-B IN data (NOT involving a tablet)?

I got the Rosetta box last year to go with a tablet with EasyVFR for audio warnings and traffic displays plus the RS 232 converter wire to the Trig transponder for ADS-B out. The Rosetta has a few USB sockets under a cover, one has a GPS module plugged in that you can replace with a “certified” external antenna – which I did , just not a “certified” type – ahhmm , what is this exactly , the papers or the price that sets it apart from other top types available anywhere ? So not speaking about certified, what prevents you from setting non-SIL-0 on the transponder ? The Trig is the box to set SIL-1 or so – or so I guess ?? Can ATC see a difference in GPS performance at all ? We only had a few flights with the Rosetta so far and I get warnings on the Trig about position loss in periods but a few button presses clear this each time, no idea what might be the fault still. The internet flight following sites show our flights so the Trig seems to send ADS-B out but OGN Open Glider Network may do this job as well so I do not know which source is used. As RS232 is available from the Rosetta via USB converter cable my guess you could use this for other boxes to your liking.

Anyway the Pilotaware forum will be most useful for any mods around this topic.

Vic
Last Edited by vic at 29 Jul 22:50
vic
EDME

The raspberry pi has a built in serial port in the GPIO pins, no need for conversion. You can probably do all you need on the pi with a slightly modified version of the dump1090 software.

Do you have a specification of the data you want on the serial port?

Last Edited by Dimme at 29 Jul 23:38
ESME, ESMS

The Pi’s serial port will be 0 – 3.3v: the RS232 standard is 12 volt signalling (although many devices will work with less – usually, most modern stuff is fine with 5v signalling). If you’re using the Pi for serial you’ll need to check the other device does 3.3v signalling (especially important if there is a data line from the device to the Pi – exceeding 3.3v on an input will damage the Pi’s GPIO). There are of course level shifter ICs (and probably one on a board you can just buy for the RPi)

Last Edited by alioth at 30 Jul 08:54
Andreas IOM

I don’t have a spec; I am going to build something which needs to process the data into something else. RS232 is fine.

The threshold of a typical RS232 input is +1.5V (max232, etc) so a swing from 0 to +3.3 is fine, but normal RS232 chips have swings from -3.3V to +3.3V (rare), -5V to +5V (max3232 – a typical chip used on +3.3V rails), -8V to +8V (standard max232 powered from +5V), or -10V to +10V (old 1488/14C88 powered from -12V/+12V).

I can also use RS422 or RS485 (same thing if going just unidirectionally).

I want something which “just runs” with no need for messing with software. It needs to pick up SIL=0 SIL=1 and SIL=3, with the SIL level being available in the output stream. SIL=3 traffic should include the 24 bit aircraft ID since in Europe there is no way to emit SIL=3 (certified ADS-B OUT) without a Mode S transponder.

It is clear that the data streams are mostly undocumented so I want something which works right to start with.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

SIL is not even processed by the receiver and is not part of the GDL90 interface. The GDL90 interface is raw data.and to make use of it you have to write a program to process the individual messages into something useful, such as traffic or FISB.

Garmin did the GDL90 under contract with the FAA to support testing of UAT based ADS-B in the Alaska Capstone project so they could test and validate the concept. The interface is public information and can be downloaded at https://www.faa.gov/nextgen/programs/adsb/Archival/media/GDL90_Public_ICD_RevA.PDF .
The interface of the actual GDL90 was RS422 at the physical level, but now others have used other physical layers such as BT or Wifi. The messages are the same. The original portable receivers were just UAT and later dual frequency receivers were made available. The Stratux device can receive 1090ES data and transform it into the GDL90 message structure, but whatever it attaches to has to process the messages.

KUZA, United States
15 Posts
Sign in to add your message