Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Oil filter adapters - failure warning notice, and any point in having an oil filter?

Not the model I have fortunately.
https://go.usa.gov/x7t3q NTSB link

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

This SB was prompted by a case very close to home. I know the operator of the 206 involved, and I elected to keep my rock catcher screen for another while until the findings were clear. I flew 800hrs on my C180 with a TCM screen and there were no adverse effects internally when the next guy eventually split the engine.

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

Is there a no-brainer brand of adapters or not ?

LFOU, France

The O200 adapter from Tempest is much simpler and no-one I know has had problems.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Jujupilote wrote:

Is there a no-brainer brand of adapters or not ?

I’ve heard good things about AirWolf products, but that is all 2nd hand info.

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

Tempest oil filter adapter

The above look similar to the F&M Enterprises Inc. and Stratus Tool Technologies oil filter adapters which feature in the warning in post 1.

Airwolf one

It makes me wonder how people managed before these. Were the oil filters just hard to get to, or was there no oil filter at all? AFAIK some engines don’t have a filter and have just the metal screen before the oil pump.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yes, older engines such as e.g. Continentals in both 4 and 6 cylinder configurations had no oil filter, only a screen.

A brand new O-200 from Continental doesn’t come with an oil filter at all – oil screen only. Which I think is pretty poor especially as Continental own Tempest and probably shows their attitude to the engines that they sell.

That’s pretty silly indeed

LFOU, France

It’s a bit like the oil analysis debate, where the antagonists challenge anyone to open up an engine on the basis of a dodgy oil analysis. Would you open an engine if you see stuff in the oil filter but the strainer is clean?

Where do the Tempest oil filter adapters (above pic) attach? It looks like there is an existing point on the crankcase at which the full oil flow can be accessed.

Many years ago I did a similar thing, to connect up an oil cooler to a Yamaha motorbike engine. The only place where the oil could be accessed was the oil filter, so I made a circular spacer, very similar to the above Airwolf pic.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
23 Posts
Sign in to add your message