Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Can someone explain German logbooks to me?

I remember the first aeroplane I sold, we dropped it to Worms and the maintenance centre set about organising the English logbooks into the “German” format. In a UK/Irish reg aircraft we keep:

- Airframe Log
- Engine Log
- Prop Log if VP
- We used to keep a CAP543 Time Life Doc but they have been replaced by Excel time life sheets generally
- Organised people collate the workpacks from each maintenance event in date order when the aircraft is being sold

The logs should have the overhaul certs for the engine/prop stapled in the front cover. Generally in the back we keep a AD summary if the pink pages are not up to date, or sometimes both. The green pages indicate the maintenance intervals. American logs are different again, but that’s another discussion.

Are german books entirely based on a Journey Log (Bordbuch) with the supporting documentation kept in date organised folders? Does the LBA require a separate Airframe/Engine/Prop Log like we would have in UK/Ireland?

Thanks,

William

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

Correct. The German Bordbuch is a journey log and technical logbook two-in-one.
No other logbooks. But you do have a separate file where all the supporting documentation is kept. This is called L-Akte (short for Lebensakte).

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I’ll drop you a PM @bosmantico and I have one other follow up question to this….

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland
3 Posts
Sign in to add your message