Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Ancient avionics

but then again any aircraft with a “Full IFR” silver crown stack installed get’s called by that name

The funny thing is that all the time you can get databases updated, and you have the one 8.33 radio required for IFR, the old stuff actually works just fine all over Europe. The key was to get the very last edition of it; late 1990s.

What you get for a GNS/GTN/IFD 5-digit Euro installation is

• eye candy
  • the ability to fly RNAV SIDs/STARs legally
  • nice usability stuff like loading flight plans from a tablet, and loading routes with airway names in them
  • LPV
  • eye candy
  • lots of money if it goes wrong
  • eye candy

However, most of the stuff posted in this thread is not in the same league. It seems to be completely unworkable, other than possibly for air-to-air use with another aircraft.

So, most of them, including these old Narcos, have not been legal for use for many years it seems.

It is interesting that the FCC measure was framed in terms of frequency accuracy+stability, not in terms of the (apparently unproved i.e. bogus) “FM Immunity” which Europe adopted. But nothing implies a 360 channel radio doesn’t meet the new spec. So loads of people could carry on flying with it, if going to places they knew supported the frequencies they could tune. It is same in Europe today; the UK for example implemented nearly all 8.33 channels as a 5kHz add-on so the old 25k radios continue to fully work, so all the time nobody checks you, you can carry on, and probably it will see out the rest of your flying days.

What is possibly more interesting is that an article from 1996 is still online, which I think is wonderful, and not rocket science, but look at how few sites manage even 1 year

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

You radio snobs can obsess over your classic 1960s hardware all you want but those of us with more practical needs know the ‘80s are coming back someday I think my digital Narco 810 and 811 with their red digital displays are pretty good eye candy even if they lack the sought after coffee grinder cosmetics. The comm in the plane was updated to 760 channels once upon a time, the spare I bought for IIRC $200 is an otherwise identical 720 in great cosmetic shape, and both work perfectly.

I use one installed radio for one thing, to talk to airport towers when necessary, and as little as possible. My installed Nav radio was calibrated once and has never been used since. Everything en route is done with portables.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 04 Mar 15:03

Silvaire wrote:

I think my digital Narco 810 and 811 with their red digital displays are pretty good eye candy even if they lack the sought after coffee grinder cosmetics

I couldn’t wait to get shot of mine. Unreliable piece of junk (particularly the display) which they tried to worm out of fixing under warranty. NARCO = Not A Radio Company. (Literally, these days, since they went bust).

Andreas IOM

Mine have been reliable since I fixed one of the displays with a used part from a $50 radio circa 2010 or 2011 I have no expectation of replacing them anytime soon. I can buy all the used ones I want for pennies and as mentioned I already have a spare, fully functional Narco 810 comm. The 811 Nav works fine too, but since I never turn it on its essentially a panel filler.

You can go along like this for decades, especially if like me you see the radio as a distraction from flying, not a place to sink money that could otherwise be spent elsewhere on the plane. I get very good reviews for my radio work on BFRs in the world’s busiest GA air space, but I find it annoying to talk to the ground for no particular reason. The GTX 335 expense and hassle was enough for this decade and installed avionics is exactly where I don’t want to spend my money. I do spend quite a bit to live in housing where the sky is blue, and I mostly I keep it on the top of the windscreen

Last Edited by Silvaire at 04 Mar 20:25

I thought the narco 811. Was the 24 volt version of the 810 com

Bathman wrote:

I thought the narco 811 was the 24 volt version of the 810 com

I think you’re right… 810 and 811 are the comms, the matching Navs are the 824 and 825. This shows how much attention I pay to the thing

My phone running Foreflight is a vastly better backup for navigating my plane. Its working pretty well on my desk today too…

Last Edited by Silvaire at 04 Mar 20:59

mh wrote:

Garmin 100

Incidently I found my old Garmin 100 (actually Pronav 100, before Garmin bought it) about a year or two ago and, expecting nothing, started it up…. what would you know. It worked like on the first day and it even still had the user waypoints I once stored.

I still had a Garmin 3 pilot, which got damaged… a forumite from another place heard me moan about the loss and sent me his :) I keep it with me when travelling. Was of good use when I flew the AN2 at the time. Pity it can’t be updated anymore.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Silvaire wrote:

the matching Navs are the 824 and 825

I still fly in an aircraft with one of these fitted and I have to say I can’t see any point in upgrading it. It works. Its flies VOR’s and ILS’s just as good as some modern equipment. Why upgrade it?

Another one from the “old US junk” repository

200hrs on the aircraft, over that time!

Administrator

What era is this autopilot from?

Administrator
Sign in to add your message