Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Whats involved in changing CAMO and maintenance outfit in Germany and D reg maintenance in the UK -any experience?

Peter, many thanks for the response. Your comments regards screws etc make perfect sense and I had suspected this. However as we have had 2 prop strikes / shock loads in the space of a year Id like to see the paper work associated with this.

Regards "something dodgy going on", I've heard on the grapevine that the CAA is investigating allegations on the (now defunct) shop that did our shock load tests. I suspect if the CAA want the paperwork and we don't have then they can demand these from our old maintainers.

Bigamy Rules
RAF Kirknewton

If you think your shock load tests were suspect, that's a big worry, safety-wise.

Was the shock load done by the well known now-defunct firm near Oxford by any chance?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

We've got no reason to suspect our shock load tests were suspect. Just heard that they are investigating someone else's allegations

Not Oxford, Wokingham.

Bigamy Rules
RAF Kirknewton

The reason I asked that is because I had a prop strike (pothole) in 2002, with just 1hr on the aircraft.

The inspection and a new prop came to £20k (insurance - Haywards - paid up immediately).

But when in 2008 I sent the engine to the USA for the SB569 crank swap they found a lot of corrosion inside the cylinders. In their view, this could not have happened during my 6 years' flying because I was flying once a week, never went more than 2 weeks without a flight, and almost no flight was under 1hr. Together with a known history of Socata (at the time) installing a load of improperly stored engines which were corroded internally, it thus appears that

• I got a corroded engine from new, and
  • The shock load company reassembled the engine ignoring the corrosion

Why would they do that? They were a major Lycoming distributor. They also told me, some years later, that they knew all about the Socata issue but didn't want (as a Lyco agent) to get involved in it.

Sometimes there are more players in a game than one is aware of

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message