Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Upgrading avionics

lmsl1967 wrote:

Overall, after consulting Mobile.de, there are 159 Ferrari available for the price I am getting the new upgrade :-)

None of those Ferrari has a panel that even comes close to what you get after the upgrade! ;-)

Germany

Personally I would place the GFC500 controller on top

Agree on that. AP control panel on top, audio panel (is that really needed?) on the bottom of the stack.
EMS in the G3X and you’ll have my dream panel

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Dan wrote:

Agree on that. AP control panel on top

That’s interesting! All my life I’ve been flying airplanes where the AP controller has been at the bottom – at the cirrus it is even in the stack below the actual panel. Don’t know if I wanted it to be on top – but never tried.

Germany

Maybe it’s for wannabe airlines, so it can be used and monitored by two pilots?

I had Century in Archer near my left leg, KFC in Mooney near my right leg, GFC700 in Diamonds sitting vertical in middle…having GFC500 over panel or between my leg, why not?

PS: some SEP have restrictions that one pilot need to be LHS to fly aircraft in IMC or to operate GPS/AP due to avionics layout, “primary field of view” is the main quoted reason in AFM Supplements for installs and modifications: EHSI STC on SR22, AP STC on TB20…

Last Edited by Ibra at 28 Apr 15:40
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Who is paid to write this BS? No autopilot below 1000ft on departure… Oh, yes, the DGAC According to Socata, they insisted that heading info is disconnected from my KMD550 MFD because pilots might use the stormscope to avoid thunderstorms.

But anyway is the OP installing a KAP150/KFC150?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

No autopilot below 1000ft on departure…

They don’t say that! Text says “engagement height in climb and cruise 1000ft”

What does that even mean? That you have to engage at 1000ft (but only if you climb or cruise there)? That you can only use the AP AT 1000FT (and not above or below) as long as you climb or cruise – but in a descent the altitude does not matter?

Germany

Peter wrote:

But anyway is the OP installing a KAP150/KFC150?

Don’t GFC500 have limitations on their install position on some STC?

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Most “major” avionics with user interfaces have STC requirements on being within reach, etc.

Also, autopilot interfaces should not be anywhere near engine controls. There was a famous crash where (it was speculated, since they all died, although they did have the elevator trim jackscrew to confirm) pushing the throttle all way way forward on takeoff also pressed the AP button on the autopilot, which then predictably drove its pitch trip all the way to the stop.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

Not that I am aware, as I wrote before, you can even install it on the lower right where the vintage A?P is.

LPSR, Portugal

Ibra wrote:

The GFC500 hasn’t (but the GFC600 has). Reason is that the GFC500 box has no mode annunciation anyways and therefore there is an external mode annunciator (e.g. on the G3X). The AP mode needs to be visible or sometimes even in the primary field of view – and therefore such APs where the mode annunciator is in the box need to be there…

Germany
Sign in to add your message