Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Challenger reusable oil filter

Peter wrote:

I’ve just ordered one.

We decided to do oil analysis through Blackstone for the next couple oil changes using paper, then switch next year and see what changes in the analysis. Do you have an established analysis history by chance? If so it would be interesting to see what happens on yours. I’ve also sent a question in to AOPA about it.

EHRD, Netherlands

Yes I have many years’ worth of Blackstone oil analysis. I will zip it up and email it to you.

I doubt the oil filter will affect oil analysis at all. Something damned weird is going on if it does change it

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I had a similar design cleanable oil filter. It worked great, but I went back to the original filter after an IA screwed up and did not torque the filter hold down bolt to the proper torque. It was placarded as being 400 in-lb, but the AI, an idiot, didn’t think it was needed. On my first flight after the annual, my safety pilot noticed oil on the ground just before we pulled away from my hangar. The filter had come undone and oil was everywhere. I had only 1 qt of oil in the engine when we stopped to investigate. This was not the fault of the filter, but I switched back to regular filters after the incident to protect myself from idiot IA’s.

KUZA, United States

Is there no locking wire? If not I would add something to the outside.

Administrator

There should be a hole for safety wire on the hex on the certified version.

I drilled some holes on the flats of the non-certified S15 version myself…

Last Edited by Dan at 01 Sep 18:39
Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Dan wrote:

There should be a hole for safety wire on the hex on the certified version.

Yes the certified version does have holes for safety wire.

EHRD, Netherlands

dutch_flyer wrote:

Yes the certified version does have holes for safety wire.

Why bother to use different nuts!? Don’t you always want a safety wire, regardless of certification?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Sometimes, nowhere to attach the safety wire.

I would have modded it if there wasn’t a hole.

Administrator

@Peter, did you get/install your Challenger filter yet?

EHRD, Netherlands

Still on order, from LAS Aero in the UK.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message