Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Autopilot upgrade in a Robin - administrative / certification questions

Actually people do spend money on Robins.
Most started out with night VFR avionics.
Many clubs have been having total renovations done. Unless you are a Robin afficianado it is very difficult to tell the difference between those that have been renovated and those which are much more modern.
They can also be fitted with modern avionics AFAICT there is a Garmin 650 STC or is it a TC?
There is also an STC for Rotax 912 engines.
It seems that Robins of most models are keepers.
Also on the EASA list is STC for Aspen 1000 and this can be installed in the DR200 series.

Last Edited by gallois at 22 Aug 14:42
France

The only difference between a Robin and any other plane in relation to avionics is that almost all Robin types never had an FAA type certificate and therefore most avionics certification has never been carried out by the majority of avionics manufacturers and installers, almost all of which are American. This has nothing to do with the merits, design intent or current usage of the planes.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 22 Aug 14:51

To continue airplus engineering gmbh appear to hold an STC for the installation of IFD 5xx/4xx in most models of Robin including the DR253 models.
I’m beginning to consider buying one and renewing my SEIR🙂
It’s surprising what a trawl through the EASA STC list brings up.

Last Edited by gallois at 22 Aug 14:52
France

I found this under the title of an STC_Weblist. Can anyone explain what it means.
10079886 AEROTEC & CONCEPT “DR 400 NGL, DR 400 RP
DR 400/500
DR 400/200 R, DR 400/2+2
DR 400/200 I, DR 400/180 S
DR 400/180, DR 400/180 R
DR 400/160, DR 400/160 D
DR 400/140, DR 400/140 B
DR 400/125, DR 400/125I
DR 400/120 A, DR 400/120 D
DR 400/100, DR 400/120” DR 400 IFR & LPV Certification The Type and OSD Certification Bases (CB) for the original productremains applicable to this certificate/ approval.The requirements for environmental protection and the associatedcertified noise and/ or emissions levels of the product are unchangedand remain applicable to this certificate/approval w… Master Data List Doc AE20005MDL dated 03 August 2022Aircraft Flight Manual Supplement (AFMS) Doc AE20005AFMS dated 03 August2022Or later revisions of the above listed document(s) approved/acceptedunder the EASA system. None 08/08/2022 Active 10079886

France

I had a phone chat with Avionik Straubing today. They said that an autopilot upgrade on a DR253 is simply not possible, as
1) no other autopilot has been certified for this airframe,
2) doing a certification for one install would be too expensive.

The person said, “if you absolutely want a modern autopilot, buy a different aircraft”. (I like my DR253 and prefer to pay my partner a PPL for the same money :))

BUT – and this information might be interesting to others here – Avionik Straubing repairs Badin Crouzet autopilots!

Good to know.

Last Edited by etn at 24 Aug 13:05
etn
EDQN, Germany

gallois wrote:

To continue airplus engineering gmbh appear to hold an STC for the installation of IFD 5xx/4xx in most models of Robin including the DR253 models.
I’m beginning to consider buying one and renewing my SEIR🙂
It’s surprising what a trawl through the EASA STC list brings up.

@gallois I was considering an IFD when doing my avionics upgrade (I decided against it but that’s a different story).
Happy to discuss DR253s with you over the phone if you are interested in buying one, just pm me. (Note: this is not an offer to sell you mine!) There are currently 2 DR253s on Planecheck, one in France one in Germany. To me, the 253 is “the ultimate Robin”, although not perfect. The only one I might find better is the 250, albeit at a much higher price – if you can find one.

Last Edited by etn at 24 Aug 13:22
etn
EDQN, Germany
36 Posts
Sign in to add your message