Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

100UL (merged thread)

You can find the “non-named spec” parameters for EN228 on ACEA’s website. Look for the worldwide fuel charter. First chapter.

T28
Switzerland

US AOPA webinar

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Nobody will watch a 1hr+ video but I did. It is very interesting and everybody involved in GA should watch it.

A few highlights. Extensive material compatibility testing, and issues found with other candidate fuels, around 26 mins

Detonation testing:

At 40 mins, deployment plan.

41 mins, they buy an octane enhancer from Germany.

58 mins:

Lyco have tested it but Continental aren’t interested. Very strange!

Aircraft range goes UP slightly, for same volume. If you load same weight of fuel, you get the same range.

Around 1:09: cleaner engines:

The guy is running Mobil 1 oil, which you cannot normally use due to metallic deposits (which can go incandescent) but it does give the engine a really good cleanup.

Sounds too good to be true? Maybe but what other testing could possibly be done?

Administrator

Interesting there is basically zero interest in this topic. I guess most think it will never be of relevance in Europe. Warter Fuels seem to be everywhere

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Interesting there is basically zero interest in this topic. I guess most think it will never be of relevance in Europe. Warter Fuels seem to be everywhere

In that case they’re wrong… Warter and Hjelmco do produce unleaded fuel, but only 91 octane.

I’m sure this has already been mentioned here somewhere but… After Brexit, there is no production of TEL in the EU and there is a risk of a ban on importing TEL from outside the EU so producing 100LL in the EU may become impossible. Importing 100LL into the EU would not be affected by the ban as the TEL contents per volume unit is low, but having to import all 100LL would cause prices to skyrocket.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Warter and Hjelmco do produce unleaded fuel, but only 91 octane.

Yes; currently that is all there is. Any “100UL” is some way away.

Currently Warter 100LL and others remain available.

After Brexit, there is no production of TEL in the EU

Is that true? Why isn’t GA on the mainland grounded?

Administrator

What do you mean? For years, Innospec (UK) has been the only producer of TEL in the western world. The UK left the EU. Hence AA’s comment that there is no TEL production in the EU. So far, this is has no impact on 100LL availability in the EU.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

The story of 100LL going away soon, has been the story in Europe for so many years now I think people have just become immune to this. Environmental concerns have naturally focused elsewhere, in the grand scheme of things GA means very little. But yes it would be nice to get rid of the TEL. I actually watched (or rather heard) the one hour long video on the subject – where mostly GAMI talks about (or sells) all the good things on the 100UL fuel. But from I can see we are quite a long way for this 100UL to be readily available. The US has plenty of 100LL available so without a law banning (or taxing) the 100LL nothing will happen anytime soon. Simply because there is no reason or motivation for the FBOs or airports to switch. Had it been cheaper there would have been a natural tendency to migrate, but the 100UL is going to be more
expensive from what they tell. On top 100UL has higher density, requiring STC ect.

Europe could adopt this fuel, like the UL91 but, any increased price over 100LL is going to hit double in Europe with high excise tax and high VAT added on top of the basic fuel cost for most private (non-AOC) users.

At my home airport (EKRK) one of the two BP pumps where converted to UL91 some years ago and there seams to be a market for this because many low power output pistons engines including the UL/Rotax market can use it directly. But very important for this is that the price on UL91 is comperable with 100LL.

THY
EKRK, Denmark

THY wrote:

because many low power output pistons engines including the UL/Rotax market can use it directly

I would be concerned using 91UL only on high compression 912ULS. A mix works well apparently, but the octane is too low in the long run. The lower compression 912UL is better. It’s the same with ULPower engines. All the lower compression XXX i works well, but the higher compression XXX iS do not. They require premium mogas or 100LL. Theoretically it should work just fine, but in practice the 91UL has lower octane than 95 mogas for some reason.

Peter wrote:

Isn’t this simply a question of price tag. It’s cheaper and easier to get Warter per barrel than whatever else in bulk ?

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

THY wrote:

The US has plenty of 100LL available so without a law banning (or taxing) the 100LL nothing will happen anytime soon.

But that will happen eventually. Lead is a really nasty substance and the efforts in the US to find a replacement for 100L wouldn’t have happened if there wasn’t a real risk for a ban on 100LL.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
Sign in to add your message