Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Aircraft battery (Gill versus Concorde)

That’s an FAA eligibility list. Pretty good – most things except Socata

I don’t think EASA-land is a problem either if you find the “right” CAMO.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I am today having a 30Ah Gill/Teledyne replaced under warranty. Was installed in Orlando 6months ago as the old and perfectly good one failed the cap check. Seems a pair of cells failed as it wont stay over 23v even left for a couple of days.

EGTK Oxford

I have had both Concorde & Gill gell batteries in my Cessna 152’s, the Concorde batteries have a longer life by about 30%.

You will have no trouble guessing who’s batteries I buy now.

Resurrecting this thread, what do I have to do to replace the existing Concorde battery in my bird with a new one? Some people at the club said that I had to have a maintenance organisation install it as it’s not an ELA1 aircraft (F Registered SR20) and anything else can make the plane ‘illegal’. Really? Fitting a new battery requires a maintenance organisation to sign it off? I thought that if I had the correct documentation (form 8130), I could install it and sign it off…. or am I too naive?

EDL*, Germany

You will get the whole spectrum of replies on that one, for either EASA or FAA.

Under FAA the “minor mod” route (just a logbook entry) has better debating support because of the “basic change to the electrical system” wording, which a nearly identical battery obviously isn’t. I know of people who have a written affirmative FSDO opinion, and ones who have the opposite. Also no 8130-3 is required because an A&P has the authority to verify that an item is airworthy.

Under EASA, CS-STAN may be relevant; I don’t know.

The gold plated “always ok to post on a forum” position is that nothing on a certified aircraft may be changed. Not even the sun visor.

The Form 1 or whatever is not related to the debate because that is just a traceability document for the item in question. It confers no entitlement to install it anywhere. It is mandatory for EASA-regs, except when it isn’t

Most people just quietly install the Concorde but obviously you need to OK it first with whoever will be maintaining the plane, otherwise you will end up wasting the bigger part of 1k.

Administrator

Steve6443 wrote:

what do I have to do to replace the existing Concorde battery in my bird with a new one

Peter’s link with 2012 EASA part M owner maintenance here. If I understand correctly that these rules apply to you and your aircraft, note that battery changes by the owner are within the regs, but apparently make subsequent IFR flight illegal under EASA.

Personally I’d buy a battery by mail order and stick it in. Batteries are a consumable item typically replaced on condition so the logbook entry has no particular value unless there is some kind of battery calendar limit in the aircraft maintenance manual.

Just realised I mis-read Steve’s question. He wants to replace the battery with an identical one.

I agree with Silvaire.

Administrator

The extent of pilot-owner maintenance is laid down in EASA Part M appendix V111 and the specific tasks should be listed in the aircraft maintenance programme.

(a) Competence and responsibility
1. The Pilot-owner is always responsible for any maintenance that he performs.
2. Before carrying out any Pilot-owner maintenance tasks, the Pilot-owner must satisfy himself that he is competent to do the task. It is the responsibility of Pilot-owners to familiarize themselves with the standard maintenance practices for their aircraft and with the aircraft maintenance programme. If the Pilot-owner is not competent for the task to be carried out, the task cannot be released by the Pilot-owner.
3. The Pilot-owner (or his contracted continuing airworthiness management organisation referred to in Subpart G, Section A of this Annex) is responsible for identifying the Pilot-owner tasks according to these basic principles in the maintenance programme and for ensuring that the document is updated in a timely manner.Italic
4. The approval of the maintenance programme has to be carried out in accordance with point M.A.302.

Maintenance tasks shall not be carried out by the Pilot-owner when the task: ▼M2
1. is a critical maintenance task ▼B
2. requires the removal of major components or major assembly and/or;
3. is carried out in compliance with an Airworthiness Directive or an Airworthiness Limitation Item, unless specifically allowed in the AD or the ALI and/or;
4. requires the use of special tools, calibrated tools (except torque wrench and crimping tool) and/or;
5. requires the use of test equipments or special testing (e.g. NDT, system tests or operational checks for avionic equipment) and/or;
6. is composed of any unscheduled special inspections (e.g. heavy landing check) and/or;
7. is effecting systems essential for the IFR operations and/or;
8. is listed in Appendix VII to this Annex or is a component maintenance task in accordance with points M.A.502(a), (b), (c) or (d) and/or; ▼M1
9. is part of the annual or 100h check contained in the Minimum Inspection Programme described in M.A.302(i).
The criteria 1 to 9 cannot be overridden by less restrictive instructions issued in accordance with ‘M.A.302(d) Maintenance Programme’. ▼B
Any task described in the aircraft flight manual as preparing the aircraft for flight (Example: assembling the glider wings or pre-flight), is considered to be a pilot task and is not considered a Pilot-owner maintenance task and therefore does not require a Certificate of Release to Service.
(c) Performance of the maintenance Pilot-owner tasks and records
The maintenance data as specified in point M.A.401 must be always available during the conduct of Pilot-owner maintenance and must be complied with. Details of the data referred to in the conduct of Pilot- owner maintenance must be included in the Certificate of Release to Service in accordance with point M.A.803(d).
The Pilot-owner must inform the approved continuing airworthiness management organisation responsible for the continuing airworthiness of the aircraft (if applicable) not later than 30 days after completion of the Pilot-owner maintenance task in accordance with point M.A.305(a).

Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.

I like the words “is effecting systems essential for the IFR operations”….

It means no owner maintenance is possible on any aircraft which is used for IFR

Administrator

I would ignore para 7 as they have mis-spelt “affecting” and thus it means something entirely different

NeilC
EGPT, LMML
Sign in to add your message