Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Aircraft battery (Gill versus Concorde)

Peter wrote:

The vast majority of planes were certified with Gill batteries and a lot of engineers are afraid to sign off a Concorde replacement, and there has been much discussion around that.

Most Concorde batteries are FAA PMA’d .
They are not critical components (I’ve a FAA Form 8130 stating that)
So they can be installed legally in EASA registered aircraft for which a PMA is issued.

I’m not a FAA airwothiness expert, but I read that regarding battery change, FAA requires a STC if the weight difference is more than 1 lb.
Most Gill to Concorde battery change fit in this category. So under FAA, a STC is almost always required.

In this area EASA is more permissive than FAA.

Last Edited by Guillaume at 30 Nov 20:17

but I read that regarding battery change, FAA requires a STC if the weight difference is more than 1 lb.
Most Gill to Concorde battery change fit in this category. So under FAA, a STC is almost always required.

That is fortunately completely incorrect.

It is a straight Minor mod IAW the decision flow chart.

Concorde do have STCs but they are for marketing reasons: A&Ps unwilling to use their head.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Indeed, as I said I’m not an expert regarding FAA airwothiness
My mistake, I only meant that there was some sort of additional approval required.

Unexpectedly, it’s easier to install a Concorde battery in an EASA registered aircraft (provided a FAA/PMA exists).

Last Edited by Guillaume at 30 Nov 20:41

If there is an FAA PMA then the part can be directly installed on an N reg.

EASA accepts FAA PMAs (recent thread here) but only conditionally.

Administrator

What has historically made this swapping “potentially legally nontrivial” is that the Concorde battery is often slightly different in dimensions to the Gill battery which the aircraft is originally certified with.

Which Concorde battery is a PMA replacement for which Gill battery?

So, N-reg, you get into the Minor Mod v. Major Mod decision process. I have detailed that here (under Certification Issues). It hangs on the words “basic change to the electrical system”. Most IAs will decide it is Minor. But not all. And some won’t (or cannot) read the regulation anyway (same under EASA).

Administrator

Battery – good for starting subzero

Currently have a Gill 243 battery, which seems up for renewal.

Any recommendations for good value, but also good for starting in cold temperatures?

24V/10Ah (1C) 8,7″×7,3″×6,9" for Archer III

G

I would recommend to get rid of the Gill and go for some concorde batteries:

Piper Archer III STC

United Kingdom

+ 1 for Concorde RG !

Gill acid batteries are junk

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Sounds like a good idea, RG24-15M looks like a good battery for this application.

G

As for starting sub-zero, it may be something you may not want to inflict to often upon a Lyco or Conti without at least a heating element in the oil. And even then the wear on the engine will be much higher than at higher temperatures.

LFPT, LFPN
Sign in to add your message