Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Aircraft battery (Gill versus Concorde)

I just use an adjustable power supply. Fortunately since going to permit, I’ve not needed to use a Gill battery (typical expected life <3 years…) and now we have a gel battery which seems to be a lot more robust.

I have a relatively inexpensive adjustable bench power supply with adjustable voltage and adjustable current, does up to 30 volts at 30 amps, and use it for all my lead-acid battery needs.

Andreas IOM

Peter wrote:

the Concorde has a lower internal resistance and thus draws more charging current (but of course charges faster as a result) from a constant-voltage bus

This is not an issue, as an alternator will not be constant voltage when “overloaded”. Overload could also be with a small load, using a low RPM. The voltage just drops, so it will work as constant current source, where the current is is limited by the RPM and the alternator design.

TomTom wrote:

Do the official capacity testers continuously adjusts their resistance to draw a constant current?

Propper testers do that, they are constant current loads. With a voltage sense and automatic switch off. This prevents a not fully charged battery to be discharged excessively during the test.

alioth wrote:

I have a relatively inexpensive adjustable bench power supply with adjustable voltage and adjustable current, does up to 30 volts at 30 amps, and use it for all my lead-acid battery needs.

Often these are a better investment then an regular battery charge, as you can do the same, and set the parameters as you want. And they are usefull for a lot of other things as well.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

Ok thank you all!
I’ll take the time to activate my next gill battery with a power supply and try to perform a capacity test with a constant load resistance.

About Concorde batteries, has anybody already done the paperwork for installing it in a EASA TB.

Thomas.

LFPE

About Concorde batteries, has anybody already done the paperwork for installing it in a EASA TB.

AFAIK, people install them as a replacement for Gill – or don’t if their engineer is not happy about it.

It would be interesting if anybody has obtained a mod (which can be grandfathered around EASA-land) or produced an STC.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

There are various threads on this topic but I don’t see any input on the certification issues – other than implied evidence that they are “just installed” i.e. with a logbook entry.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Why can’t you simply install it as owner accepted part according to 21.A.307(c) (in ELA1 and ELA2 aircraft)?

1) it is not a life-limited part, nor part of the primary structure or flight controls

2) manufactured in conformity to applicable design

EASA CM–21.A–K–001
says “Secondly, in the case of parts where all of the data necessary for manufacture and subsequent inspection to determine the quality of the parts is available in the product support documentation or other data provided by the design approval holder, then such parts may be produced or fabricated in conformity with the applicable design data”

Dimensions, battery capacity and chemistry are known from the design approval holder, so everything needed to manufacture and inspect the quality is known IMO.

3) marked in accordance to Subpart Q

4) identified for installation in a specific aircraft — Concorde publishes replacement part lists

LSZK, Switzerland

The concorde is heavier too. You need a revised W&B sheet.
I’ve installed it and the maintenance company didn’t object.

United Kingdom

No CNC was used and no animals killed making the dummy load for iCharger 4010DUO . The design is not important, I can imagine using some old computer case to house the dummy load, whatever you find at home. Also, you do not need to buy the power supply, you can use old server power supply. The advantage of iCharger 4010DUO is that you do not need 30V power supply to be able to charge 24V aircraft batteries, the iCharge converts the voltages as needed. So you can use 12V server power supply and the iCharger can convert the voltage up to 40V according to the battery you are charging, i.e. number of cells and its chemistry. As I said before, very versatile unit.

LKHK, Czech Republic

Thank you Pytlak!
This is what I need!
Can the iCharger 4010Duo automatically stops the discharge when the battery voltage reach 20V for example?
Thomas

LFPE

Peter, do you know what does the Socata battery testing procedure (using taxi and landing lights and checking voltage) test exactly?
Thank you.

LFPE
Sign in to add your message