Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Dynamic propeller balancing

Can’t help you with repairmen, but I can say it was a huge difference when I did it on the Commander. She was ultra smooth after that. Well worth it.

I suggest you try Jim Barker ([email protected]). He is an expert at this and very well thought of in the Cirrus community.

Although he is based in the US, he travels to Europe reasonably often. There is a Cirrus Pilots Proficiency Programme weekend at Cambridge in June and he may be over for that and, if so, could probably help.

EGSC

Jim Barker will be in Germany APR 12-29, i can give you his contact details by eMail. He’s really one of the best experts when it’s about these things, and a very nice guy too. One time I ordered a used Cirrus part from him and when I asked about the missing invoice he write back “Merry Christmas” … didn’t have that very often :-)

There are people in the UK, I will find out who they are later today, we will be having propeller balancing done tomorrow

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Try the prop-shop at General Aero Services at Thurrock, in south Essex. Speak to Ian Chaplin – a nice guy.

I am now talking to Kerry Ashcroft. I would fly up to Cranfield for it. One is not allowed to do it at Shoreham.

Many thanks for the tips

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Kerry’s a good guy to use. He’s done various props for me (including my own!).

Good to know.

I am going to fly up to Cranfield as soon as there is a calm day (necessary for prop balancing).

Administrator

I have updated this writeup.

The new data appears at the end of it, under “New Results March 2014”.

No change in the vibration measured at the foot pedal mounting bracket!

This is however still very useful because it means the stuff is getting in from a different source. The vibration measured at the front of the engine is probably not relevant anymore.

If there was another type of engine mount, I might try that. There are two types certified: a Lord mount and a Barry mount. The Lord one looks a lot more sophisticated and that is what I have. They were changed when the crank was swapped in 2008. I did buy a set of Barry mounts at the time but didn’t use them, because they “don’t look as good”, being just simple lumps of rubber. But they might actually be better…

Last Edited by Peter at 09 Mar 22:10
Administrator

I have finally had my prop balanced. For a bit of fun I thought I’d take it back to MT in Straubing, but only got as far as Koblenz because of weather. Then as it was getting near overhaul time, I decided to leave the balancing until after the overhaul.

In the end I took the plane to a well know maintenance organisation at Gloucester. They could fit the plane in, and it is only 10 minutes flying from home.
I haven’t noticed any vibration, but I remembered reading a flight review of the same plane/engine/prop as mine feeling like a six cylinder, and I wanted some of that!

The pictureimage below is from the balancing manual, where I have superimposed my starting and finishing point:

Starting at ‘Slightly Rough’ sounds alarming, but the text mentions ‘Will improve passenger comfort’ which is not so bad. Weights were added twice to get to the .01.
I noticed it smoother when I opened the throttle; otherwise I didn’t notice anything different on the 10 minute flight home. It will be interesting to see if I notice any difference in the cruise.

Norman
United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message