Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Aircraft tug (merged)

I have bought a german electric tug, Schlappmaxxe, and I think it’s the best product for a SEP. Mine is version 1.0 and that’s enough for an SR22.

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 25 Sep 06:49

Here is the link to the product Flyer59 recommended “Schleppmaxxe”: http://www.schleppmaxxe.com/

I have no personal experience with them but they are very popular in Germany to the extent that you will find an average of two of them in every hangar with more than 4 planes in it. Generally, people think highly of them.

Myself, I have been using this product for the past 6 or 7 years and really like it: Magic Tow
It is excellent for getting the plane (a TB20) into the hangar and towing it over shorter distances but not for towing a plane over severals hundreds of meters. It attaches to the front wheel axle so might not be suitable for planes with front wheel pants.

While I was in a previous hangar I had to tow my plane over somewhat longer distances and, while paved, somewhat uneven surfaces so I bought a tow similar to the Schleppmaxxe from a company in Belgium called Aero-Pac (Aero-Pac). I seem to recall hearing during the last AERO-exhibition that they are no longer allowed to sell that specific product in Germany as they were sued by Schleppmaxxe for “design infringements” or some such. Anyway, I could not recommend buying from them as their product, after I finally got one that did not arrive damaged already, turned out to be not so great (to say the least) in quite a few details. And their customer support (Standing behind their product ???) was the worst I ever encountered.

RXH
EDML - Landshut, Munich / Bavaria

There’s also the AC Air tugs made here in Chino. The great thing about them is that they’re portable and small and can handle bigger planes, so you can bring it with you in the plane on trips. They’re probably best suited for planes you can’t easily move by yourself.

AC Air

Last Edited by AdamFrisch at 25 Sep 12:39

If I ever fly to Calvi again, I’ll make sure to have one of those in the luggage hold.

LFPT, LFPN

Oh boy. They are sold out!

Est. ship time: 10/30/2015 due to high demand.

LFPT, LFPN

There is a load of tugs on the market, and some of them are even just about possible to carry in the plane, but has anyone made one which has enough power to move the plane over grass?

To move a fully fuelled TB20 (about 1250kg) over grass, you need 3 men. One pulling the prop and two pushing at the walkway at the wing bases.

On a quick and dirty guess that would need about 1000N (100kg) of force.

It can be very slow however, so the power required does not have to be high.

But the hardest bit would be to design a wheel which digs into the grass deep enough. I reckon something with spikes about 10cm long, and with weight applied to it by the person operating it, would probably do the job.

Does such a thing exist?

These days, lithium batteries are very powerful and lightweight so I can’t see why a ~5kg device could not be made.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
something like this?

EDFM (Mannheim), Germany

You’d only need this

to carry it

EDLE

Peter wrote:

I reckon something with spikes about 10cm long, and with weight applied to it by the person operating it, would probably do the job.

Perhaps, but it would you get banned from quite a few airfields I know.

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

The two problems with tugging over grass are the lack of traction for the tug wheels and the increased rolling resistance of the aircraft.

One way round those problems is to use a winch system that can be anchored either in the back of the hangar or at a suitably distant point in front of the hangar.

Just make sure that whatever point you are pulling on is strong enough and that the ‘weak link’ is in the cable.

KHWD- Hayward California; EGTN Enstone Oxfordshire, United States
Sign in to add your message