Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What is the best way to control the cost of maintenance work, and DIY CAMO?

RXH
EDML - Landshut, Munich / Bavaria

Thanks. I had seen that resource page before on Socata.org’s website, but not the separate parts list for the annual…which I now see is indeed there.

H

Flying a TB20 out of EGTR
Elstree (EGTR), United Kingdom

I am trying to check out Jesse’s information. It would be a bombshell if it was possible in the UK because every owner in a “suitable” hangar could use a freelance engineer for everything, saving thousands a year. Homebuilt/Permit/etc owners already do this but often have to do it discreetly because the hangar prohibits it, or they fly away to some farm strip.

The jacks are always a bit of a logistical issue (not least because they are damn heavy) but on the money one would save everybody would buy their own I am still looking for lightweight jacks – 15kg max – which I can lift myself. Not found any yet.

There are no special tools for a TB20 specifically, beyond what any engineer (working on Lyco engines etc) would have already. A TB20 is a bog standard piece of American hardware, with metric screws

Re the Annual parts list, note that not all items on it need to be done every year. There is e.g. a pricey fuel filter which (a) never seems to clog up at all and (b) the MM doesn’t “need” it done every year (from memory, every 2 years or some such). Also the aileron bearing lockplates (which last 2 years because one bends-up only half the corners each time) come unpainted.

Last Edited by Peter at 27 Apr 18:51
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

A TB20 is a bog standard piece of American hardware, with metric screws

… and one could buy those screws at the local hardware store.

RXH
EDML - Landshut, Munich / Bavaria

… and one could buy those screws at the local hardware store.

I do hope you are joking:-)

jxk
EGHI, United Kingdom

Part 145 shops usually don’t give a … about the right screws. I’ve never seen one look at the parts catalogue for the right screw. They open the drawers and pick whatever looks like it will fit. The best drawers are those with millions of different screws from salvaged aircraft.

That’s why so many shops hate the TB — it needs different drawers because of it being a weird mix of metric and imperial parts.

The screw thing is overrated, I can point out wrong screws on every airplane, probably even the ones that have just left the factory

I do hope you are joking

Unfortunately the M4x16 CSK stainless #2 Philips screws RHX refers to now cost about €8 each

I bought 100 some years ago when they were €1 each – still a silly price but OK as they were nicely made. It’s a funny thing that some other very similar screws Socata sell are €0.1 each. Their accountant seems to throw darts at a board, in a dark room.

What is uncertain is the head countersink angle. I need to measure up some of mine.

Otherwise, one can legally buy non-structural screws from anywhere, if they come with a traceability document. These screws are used to attach inspection covers, etc.

That’s why so many shops hate the TB — it needs different drawers because of it being a weird mix of metric and imperial parts.

That, I would suggest, only reveals the subject as a complete idiot and not worthy of an engineer license. There is zero intellectual effort involved.

I can point out wrong screws on every airplane

Absolutely so, especially when self tappers are mixed with parallel thread.

Last Edited by Peter at 28 Apr 09:29
Administrator

jxk – do you know anything about Jesse’s posting above?

Administrator

I have now spoken to two people. Both are long-timers in the business. One runs a 145 company. Both say the same thing. It is not possible, in the UK, anyway.

An EASA66 person can do all the work. No issue there.

But then a Part M Subpart G company needs to sign off the ARC. There are some options on how this can be worked (controlled environment, or not, etc) but basically this other outfit must be involved, and checks and signs off stuff like ADs, mods, POH date, radio license, etc.

In theory the guy signing this needs to inspect the aircraft thoroughly. In practice, of course, how much he will inspect depends on how much he trusts the guy who did the work – there is a risk in getting shafted over (and done by the CAA) if doing this on a freelance basis. The CAA rarely busts anybody but the FAA have certainly busted (banned) UK based IAs who signed off stuff they didn’t check properly.

The Subpart G company can, by bending some rules, work out of the back of a van. He just needs to be really careful to make sure the EASA66 guy doesn’t do anything stupid, but that is “life”. Most people signing off stuff in aviation haven’t actually done the actual work themselves. Employed within a company they are probably protected from the actions of somebody inside the same doing bad work, but not in this scenario.

The above is what I always thought the process is.

Last Edited by Peter at 28 Apr 11:22
Administrator

Peter #18

In answer to your question: no I don’t know Jesse.

I have read somewhere on one of the forums that a Part 66 can sign off a UK ARC for EASA machines but I find this most unusual. Part 145 and Part M organisations have to really go through the hoops to obtain the rights to perform ARC renewals. This includes demonstating they have suitable premises, manuals, tools, staff and that have a suitable exposition for the organisation.

With regard to the nuts and bolts issue I’m sure you know that there are different quality materials for these depending on their application eg shear, tension, etc. OK for for screwing on panels it not so important but I would hate to think that someone could go to B &Q for bolts to hold the wings on.

jxk
EGHI, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message