Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

The very best optional aircraft add-ons

An aircraft has three orthogonal axes: roll, pitch and yaw….a basic single axis controls roll only…..this can mean basic wing level, or heading or tracking a VOR….then there is two axis which adds pitch control…this can mean just holding a pitch attitude or holding an altitude…..a three axis would add a servo for the rudder to damp yaw oscillations….

EDIT: I just saw MooneyDriver’s post which says basically says all the same things…sorry

Last Edited by AnthonyQ at 22 May 18:48
YPJT, United Arab Emirates

But to answer the original question, I would say a full digital engine monitor is one of the best add-ons if you care about your engine…..and I am still to add one!….looking at the CGR30-P….

Last Edited by AnthonyQ at 22 May 18:52
YPJT, United Arab Emirates

There are no pitch-only APs

S-TEC 60 PSS (Pitch Stabilization System) is one I know off.

Altough I have always seen it combined with older roll A/P’s, such as Century II

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

A good old thread.

If I was to rank them from the cheapest first, it would be the ADL150 first. It does a great job, a very desirable function for IFR flying, and is not expensive.

Next is a good autopilot. A dramatic drop in cockpit workload.

The best add-on however is the full TKS system.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Very happy with the ADL150, but also with the GTS800 for traffic!

EHTE, Netherlands

If I was to rank them in order of utility for IFR enroute:

1. a good autopilot
  2. antiice and deice
  3. traffic and weather
Last Edited by JasonC at 23 Sep 21:40
EGTK Oxford

The best value (less than 10 AMU) must be 31” Bushwheels – carry a runway with you so you can land wherever you want to be, instead of wherever someone built an airport.

After that I’ll cheat a little and say GPSS, because that encompasses an autopilot and GTNx50 etc. with “Telligence” and “Flightstream”, of course.

Edited to add, for a bushplane, PRACTICE.

Last Edited by Jacko at 23 Sep 22:21
Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

@Jacko , the discussion seems to drift about IFR and avionics, you are re-centring it on VFR and raw materials

On VFR: two folding bikes 8kg each fits easily inside a C172 boot, does not make my en-route easier but on arrival it is always nice

Last Edited by Ibra at 23 Sep 23:13
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

JasonC wrote:

traffic and weather

Isn’t the whole point of IFR that somebody else worries about separation? Or are class G ops really that much of a concern?

Weather is obviously quite useful.

United States

Yes; TAS/TCAS is not generally useful under IFR in CAS. It is very useful OCAS though, and in Europe, light GA flies OCAS (in “bandit country” ) a lot.

It is quite an expensive add-on though.

In fact most things mentioned are pretty expensive. The ADL satellite wx receiver is the only relatively cheap item.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message