Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Placement of portable devices in the cockpit

I have a RAM mount for the iPad mini but due to the way the PA46 yoke is it tends to be a bit too far forward. Am replacing with heavy duty velcro.

EGTK Oxford

I usually have mine resting loosely on my normal kneeboard

That’s what I do. I don’t like yoke mounting because so much gets obscured and I don’t like looking at terminal charts which are rotated with the yoke

But then the touch screen gets you right when you don’t want it…

JeppTC has no function for killing the touch screen. JeppFD does that, I believe.

So, having been around this circus a few times, I am staying with my win8 Lenovo T2 tablet which

• lives on the kneeboard
  • has a total disable facility on the touch screen (but you can still use the pen, crucially)
  • being windoze, everything “just works”, including satphone internet

I am sure that if you got 20 IR pilots in a room you would find they would have 20 different workflows and many would be really happy. However I do know one chap whose yoke mounted “device”, on a “Russian combine harvester style” yoke mount like the one which Garmin sell for the 695, actually hits the panel when doing the controls free check, which I don’t think is very clever.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

JeppFD does that, I believe.

Yes, it has a screen lock button. But I never use that. When I need the iPad to look at the Jeppesen plates, I just hold it in my hand(s). When done, it gets stuffed in a sidewall pocket or rested against the panel with the circuit breakers on the sidewall. Using it as a navigation device is verboten in our operation, so there is no need to have it in sight all the time.

EDDS - Stuttgart

being windoze, everything “just works”, including satphone internet

Peter, you must be the only person on the planet (ok, except perhaps Bill Gates) who thinks that

PS: I think (not sure, don’t have time now to try it), that ForeFlight also has a ‘kill’ button to avoid unintentional inputs.

That’s what I do. I don’t like yoke mounting because so much gets obscured and I don’t like looking at terminal charts which are rotated with the yoke

Use the rotate lock function on the iPad and assign it to the mute button on the top right hand side.

you must be the only person on the planet (ok, except perhaps Bill Gates) who thinks that

Yeah I know what you mean… I would not choose a win8 tablet for web email and multimedia consumption. IOS is the best user interface for that. But I like to run loads of stuff which doesn’t run on IOS. And the win8 tablet actually works well.

Use the rotate lock function on the iPad and assign it to the mute button on the top right hand side.

OK – I didn’t mean the 90 degree auto-rotation. I meant the whole Ipad rotates with the yoke. I guess it works fine however because the TBM has had a yoke mounted terminal chart clip (for paper charts) for ever, and in most phases of flight the yoke is not rotated all that much.

Last Edited by Peter at 30 Jun 13:17
Administrator

In ForeFlight (if only that were available for Europe!) you also have an integrated notepad that obviates the need for a pen-and-paper surface.

For sake of completeness, SkyDemon has that, too.

That said, I usually still jot down frequencies on, ahem, paper…

Agreed. I’m not happy generally with the accuracy of text input on the iPad even with a stylus. I’ve used it occasionally in conferences and the result is so bad I don’t feel this can replace pen&paper in the cockpit for me yet.
Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

I use the finger writing sections in Jepp or RR iPad apps. Don’t use paper any more.

EGTK Oxford

How do people achieve handwriting on these touch screens?

Can anybody post a screenshot showing their typical notepad contents after a flight of a few hours?

I fill up the handwriting area on my A4 notepad (most of which is admittedly the FTO style plog sheet with loads of rectangles for writing down navaids, frequencies, etc which I never use) on one long IFR flight. That’s using a fine pencil and small writing.

Administrator

What do you write down Peter?

EGTK Oxford
Sign in to add your message