Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Avidyne IFD440 / IFD540

That’s interesting – thanks $1000 is probably more than I would get for a KLN94 on Ebay.

Chflyer – thank you too, but after much past experience I would not use an installer so far away. I have found that if one cannot “just drop in” and see how they are doing, it is likely to be problematic. I am not suggesting that any particular installer would create a problem, but it is a recipe for getting one for sure.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Distance is definitely a consideration and I tend to feel the same. I know everyone raves about Straubing and I considered using them at one point due to cost but decided against it due to the proximity issue. It sounds from comments here that it is a challenge to find quality avionics shops in the UK.

LSZK, Switzerland

Airborne_Again wrote:

Why not?

It’s not 8.33 compliant. We are not supposed to use 760 channel coms anymore.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

@Mooney_Driver I think it’s ok to keep them for listening/monitoring and as an emergency if COM 1 failed.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

RobertL18C wrote:

I think it’s ok to keep them for listening/monitoring and as an emergency if COM 1 failed.

Yes, otherwise we would not be allowed IFR anymore. But with the current troubles with Com 1, a 2nd 8.33 would be much more useful.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

RobertL18C wrote:

I think it’s ok to keep them for listening/monitoring and as an emergency if COM 1 failed.

It certainly is.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Peter wrote:

I have found that if one cannot “just drop in” and see how they are doing, it is likely to be problematic. I am not suggesting that any particular installer would create a problem, but it is a recipe for getting one for sure.

If they are so good, you can combine the upgrade with skiing trip

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

…or move to Switzerland

EBST, Belgium
Sign in to add your message