Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Why do those little landing gear micro switches fail so often?

Is it corrosion? Would a puff of Corrosion-X or ACF-50 every other month help with micro switch longevity?

United States

Which ones? There are several.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

United States

Those are made by Crouzet in France – see here

They should not fail often. They are sealed microswitches so external lubrication won’t do much. I don’t like the way these switches are actuated – a small misalignment is going to damage the switch. So checking the alignment of the landing gear mechanism (on jacks) while operating the gear slowly manually, is essential.

Administrator

I have had a problem recently that the arm that protrudes from the switch (see photo above) was ever so slightly bent and therefore the part of the gear that moved that arm did not reach it, giving me a faulty indication of the landing gear position. Carefully bending it back solved it, so you may want to look at that first..

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

I think in most TB20GT installations that arm is slightly bent – it has been thus adjusted to work correctly. There is no other adjustment.

It’s not a good design. Those switches “only” operate the landing gear indicator lights, but they should still be a more sturdy type.

The problem is that the “proper” ones cost about €300, which is about €2000 from an aircraft manufacturer like Socata, and everybody tell you that you have to buy them from Socata…

Administrator
Maybe you´d consider switching to this, might be a lot more reliable than the onboard avionics :

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Proximity-Sensor-induktiver-Naherungssensor-induktiver-Naherungsschalter-M8-/271581113333?pt=Sensoren_Regler&hash=item3f3b7eebf5

Vic

Sorry,

Link

Last Edited by vic at 16 Sep 15:48
vic
EDME

I think in most TB20GT installations that arm is slightly bent – it has been thus adjusted to work correctly. There is no other adjustment.

What I meant to say was that it was bent somehow during operation of the aircraft, hard landing probably..

Private field, Mallorca, Spain
8 Posts
Sign in to add your message